Topics

Winter Field Day 2020 Preliminary Results #contest

Orion, AI6JB

Good Afternoon All!

Last weekend we had a fabulous time up at Georgetown Airport for Winter Field Day (WFD) 2020!  Judging by the smiles on everyone's face and the spectacular attendance, WFD 2020 was an absolute success.  We had 80 daily visits which includes 50 members and 30 guests/visitors.  These combined numbers are very impressive.  What's even more impressive are the unique attendee numbers!  The total number of unique attendees was 51!!  That means 51 different people showed up over the 2 and a half days.  This comprised of 28 members and 23 guests!!  Great job getting the word out.

Now for some numbers.  This year we made 381 total contacts and earned 16 multipliers.  The contacts came from 90 CW QSOs, 268 Phone QSOs, and 23 Digital QSOs.  Our average QSO rate was 15.8 contacts per hour over the 24 hour period!

The contacts break-down by band as follows:
160m - 1 QSO
80m - 131 QSOs
40m - 166 QSOs
20m - 49 QSOs
15m - 1 QSO
10m - 2 QSOs
6m - 2 QSOs
2m - 28 QSOs
70cm - 1 QSO

Our calculated score is 7,904 QSO points. Applying our power multiplier x2 (for 100 watts or less) and 6,000 bonus points, our claimed score is 21,808!!  For comparison, our claimed score last year was 13,632.

Our success is attributed to everyone's hard work.  Without the dedicated folks who came up on Friday and Sunday to setup and tear-down, we couldn't have scored these points.  Brian and Lin where there to get us off to a good start with their signature breakfast.

And, thanks to the 17 operators pitching to make contacts.  They are as follows, listed in order from most QSO's to least:  Aaron, K6ABJ, Brian, AI6US, Dennis, WU6X, Gary, KC3P9, Earl, K6GPB, Rob, KM6YKX, Ken, K6KEC, Wayne, W6DT, Roger, KM6AUT, Craig, KM6LYW, Michelle, WH7QC, Orion, AI6JB, Roy, WH7DH, Bruce, K6BAA, Chip, KM6MDF, Stan (Aaron's Dad and guest), N6ATS, Dustin, W6YUE.

Now, just because Dustin, W6YUE, and Stan, N6ATS, are the last two listed, i.e. made  1 and 2 QSOs, respectively, doesn't mean their contributions were insignificant.  It turns out Dustin made our only 160m contact and one of Stan's QSO's made our only 6m CW contact.  Each of those contacts earned us a multiplier.  Each multiplier is worth 988 total points!

The shining star was Bruce, K6BAA!  He only made a few contacts over the entire weekend, but his ONE satellite contact scored us 1,501 points!!  Excellent job Bruce.  No can remember the last time W6EK scored a satellite contact on either Field Day.

Thank you to everyone for making this a memorable event!  We will have a more detailed analyse at the February General Meeting.

Gary - KC3PO

How many multipliers did we have last year? IOW, what was our net improvement in multipliers?

- Gary

On Tue, Jan 28, 2020 at 2:00 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
[...]

Re-reading my email I realized I forgot to recognize the one person instrumental to making WFD at Georgetown Airport possible.  Scott, KK7AIR, and his team's secured the campground, cleaned it up for us, and cajoled the county to clean-up the restrooms and stock with paper products.  We actually found Scott at the site on Friday driving the biggest brush mulcher you have ever seen clearing berry bushes.

Thank Scott for making Winter Field Day 2020 such a success!!

WFD 2020 is now in the books!

Scores were submitted today.

This year our claimed score is 21,808 points.  Last year's claimed score was 13,632 points.  That is a 60% increase in one year.  Way to go everybody!!

Gary - KC3PO

fwiw, i’m hearing quite a few people complaining that their multipliers were down this year.

- gary