What kind of antenna is this?

Smitty - K9CCO

Hello all from Ridgecrest CA.  I have driven by this tower more times than I can count in the last 20 years.  What kind of antenna is this?

--

73's

Smitty K9CCO

Smitty - K9CCO

Edited

So I did some sleuthing and found what looked like a house at the base.  It looks like a MW antenna 1360AM.  The mystery has been solved.  However the antenna at the top is still a mystery to me as I don’t think the one at the top is medium wave. Is that just lightning protection?

--

73's

Smitty K9CCO

Greg - KO6TH

If you look to the immediate right of he tower, I believe there's a wire between the two "diving boards".  Perhaps that thing on top is its ground plane, aimed a reducing the radiation lobe that would otherwise go skyward?

A lightning rod would go vertical, not horizontal.

Greg  KO6TH

Smitty - K9CCO wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

So I did some sleuthing and found what looked like a house at the base.  It looks like a MW antenna 1360AM.  The mystery has been solved.  However the antenna at the top is still a mystery to me as I don’t think the one at the top is medium wave. Is that just lightning protection?

--

73's

Smitty K9CCO

Smitty - K9CCO

The lightning protection was a long shot. There is a wire going from that top diving board to the bottom.  I have never seen a ground plane at the top of a tower like that, interesting.

The station is at around 115% modulation and sounds terrible and the FM (located in the same building) has the AM signal about 10dB down on their carrier, totally audible with the music.  I honestly wonder if anyone listens to either of these stations. :)

--

73's

Smitty K9CCO

Greg - KO6TH

Yikes! If not an audience, apparently not the FCC either. You might try to let the station manager know. That behavior isn't good for anyone.

Greg KO6TH

On November 23, 2021 3:36:24 PM PST, Smitty - K9CCO <K9CCO@...> wrote:
The lightning protection was a long shot. There is a wire going from that top diving board to the bottom.  I have never seen a ground plane at the top of a tower like that, interesting.

The station is at around 115% modulation and sounds terrible and the FM (located in the same building) has the AM signal about 10dB down on their carrier, totally audible with the music.  I honestly wonder if anyone listens to either of these stations. :)

--
This space for rent...

Aaron K6ABJ

If its not being used for anything, I am seeing a proposed site for a Ham Repeater.

Aaron, K6ABJ

On Nov 23, 2021, at 3:46 PM, Greg - KO6TH <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

Yikes! If not an audience, apparently not the FCC either. You might try to let the station manager know. That behavior isn't good for anyone.

Greg KO6TH

On November 23, 2021 3:36:24 PM PST, Smitty - K9CCO <K9CCO@...> wrote:
The lightning protection was a long shot. There is a wire going from that top diving board to the bottom.  I have never seen a ground plane at the top of a tower like that, interesting.

The station is at around 115% modulation and sounds terrible and the FM (located in the same building) has the AM signal about 10dB down on their carrier, totally audible with the music.  I honestly wonder if anyone listens to either of these stations. :)

--
This space for rent...

Lisa - KC6SLE

Looks like a commercial broadcast antenna, most likely AM broadcast. See if you can see the base of the antenna. If the antenna is mounted on large insulators then the whole structure is the radiating element.

There are three very similar AM broadcast antennas on the left of the toll plaza heading west on to the Bay Bridge.

Greydon

[Edited Message Follows]