Topics

W2MWK Field Day 2020 log

Mark - W2MWK

Orion,

First thanks for the help and pointers in getting started in my first field day. It forced me to learn a lot about my radio and setting up an adhoc antennas for HF. I built a modified Fan Dipole that gave me 40m, 20m and 15m access to a limited degree. I could not generate enough signal to punch through the noise. But I learned that with a pile of speaker wire, some PVC and a lot of patience you can make an HF antenna which was a lot of fun.

As to the log,

I tried submitting through N3FJP, file->write Cabrillo so I clicked that and it says they don’t want that so I don’t know. I’m just skipping the whole ARRL submittal thing, sorry, just too confusing for a first timer.

The log (see attached) generated by Cabrillo(?) does not seem to have what you needed.  I grabbed a list from N3FJP that seems to have what you needed, pasted it into Excel and attached it here. Hopefully that is okay.

I show 5 contacts, I also touched base with Brian a couple of times over the 24 hours, which reassured me that I was actually transmitting ;>}

Thanks so much for pulling this all together and answer my questions.

Mark W2MWK

Koehler

Greg D

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to figure out the log thing too, combining what WSJT-X created with what I have on paper from phone contacts.

One note on your submission...  The club is Sierra Foothills ARC.  Foothills should be plural.

Good luck!

Greg  KO6TH

Mark Koehler W2MWK via groups.io wrote:

Orion,

First thanks for the help and pointers in getting started in my first field day. It forced me to learn a lot about my radio and setting up an adhoc antennas for HF. I built a modified Fan Dipole that gave me 40m, 20m and 15m access to a limited degree. I could not generate enough signal to punch through the noise. But I learned that with a pile of speaker wire, some PVC and a lot of patience you can make an HF antenna which was a lot of fun.

As to the log,

I tried submitting through N3FJP, file->write Cabrillo so I clicked that and it says they don’t want that so I don’t know. I’m just skipping the whole ARRL submittal thing, sorry, just too confusing for a first timer.

The log (see attached) generated by Cabrillo(?) does not seem to have what you needed.  I grabbed a list from N3FJP that seems to have what you needed, pasted it into Excel and attached it here. Hopefully that is okay.

I show 5 contacts, I also touched base with Brian a couple of times over the 24 hours, which reassured me that I was actually transmitting ;>}

Mark W2MWK

Koehler

Richard - AA6RS <rwsnyder11@...>

Greg,
I was going to work in some 2m ssb contacts but the thought of a manual entry made me think twice. As it is, I generated a “dupe sheet” from the n3fjp results and attached it to the entry form. But I can’t submit! Don’t know why. Anyone have suggestions?

ARRL ought to give a trophy if you work all sections. 

Rich AA6RS

Richard Snyder

m  510-918-3409

AA6RS@...

"In small things considered is the world revealed"

On Jun 28, 2020, at 12:04, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

Hi Mark,

I'm trying to figure out the log thing too, combining what WSJT-X created with what I have on paper from phone contacts.

One note on your submission...  The club is Sierra Foothills ARC.  Foothills should be plural.

Good luck!

Greg  KO6TH

Mark Koehler W2MWK via groups.io wrote:

Orion,

As to the log,

Mark W2MWK

Koehler

Alan - W6WN

Edited

FWIW, I had to manually enter the numbers into this sheet embedded in ARRL's Field Day entry form to get the form to accept my submission:

Dennis - WU6X

Edited

Normally the way it's done every year, guys. ARRL has not automated the form. 😊
Dennis - WU6X

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> on behalf of Alan Thompson <Alan.W6WN@...>
Sent: Sunday, June 28, 2020 7:38 PM
To: rwsnyder11@ <sbcglobal.net rwsnyder11@...>; sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] W2MWK Field Day 2020 log

FWIW, I had to manually enter the numbers into this sheet embedded in ARRL's Field Day entry form to get the form to accept my submission:

--
Dennis - WU6X

Orion, AI6JB

Good Morning Everyone!

First, Mark thank you for the kind words!  I am so glad you had a great time for Field Day this year!  I hope you made at least five contacts!  You would qualify for the Rookie award.  

Second, I will host another Field Day Q&A this Thursday, July 2, on GoToMeeting.com after the W6EK 2m Net with a focus on submitting to ARRL.  I will save my submission until then so you can see how it is done.

If you have specific questions before then, post them to this groups.io thread, i.e. hit the Reply link below, and I will be sure to be prepared.

73 Orion, AI6JB

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Hello Mark,

Every point counts toward the aggregated club score. :)

On N3FJP Cabrillo submission page, you will note that it states that the Cabrillo form is no longer directly submitted for the ARRL Field Day from N3FJP and to instead to generate the "Dupe" file from the tab at the bottom of the page.  Press the Dupe button and save the Dupe file to your computer. Open the summary page report to see your breakdown by band and mode if you need a further breakdown of your contacts by band and mode.

Open the ARRL Field Day submission link:
then click on the Go To Data Entry button. 

Fill out the online form, claim your bonus points (attach documentation if requested).

Enter the QSOs and Power by Band and Mode. and attach the Dupe file (or a Cabrillo) 

Verify that you complied to the rules, then submit the entry.

If you need any assistance with the submission, give me a call.

--
Best Regards!
Brian Gohl - AI6US
(916) 770-7751

-------------------------

On Sun, 28 Jun 2020 11:54:38 -0700, Mark Koehler <mwkoehler@...> wrote:

Orion,

As to the log,

Mark W2MWK

Koehler

--
Brian- AI6US

Greg D

Hi Orion,

My thanks to you as well for organizing this year's event.  Well done!

A question on submitting to the ARRL...  For the "message to the section manager or section EC" bonus points, they are requesting " Properly serviced copies of each message" be submitted with the report. 

I sent a Radiogram-formatted message to the EC (Greg KG6SJT) via Winlink, and he acknowledged getting it.  I also forwarded what I had sent (from the sent tray) to 3 others.  So I think that's 100 + 30 points.

Of the above, what exactly is a " Properly serviced copy"? 

Greg  KO6TH

Orion, AI6JB wrote:

Good Morning Everyone!

First, Mark thank you for the kind words!  I am so glad you had a great time for Field Day this year!  I hope you made at least five contacts!  You would qualify for the Rookie award.  

Second, I will host another Field Day Q&A this Thursday, July 2, on GoToMeeting.com after the W6EK 2m Net with a focus on submitting to ARRL.  I will save my submission until then so you can see how it is done.

If you have specific questions before then, post them to this groups.io thread, i.e. hit the Reply link below, and I will be sure to be prepared.

73 Orion, AI6JB