Topics

Underseas Cables

Gerry - WA6E

An item of discussion on the morning net the other day was the underseas cables.  I came across this map which was titled, "Underwater Cables that Sustain the Internet."  I offer it here to further the discussion.  Where did I find this you ask?  Click here.  The map does not explain the line colors.

Gerry
WA6E

Earl - K6GPB

For those interested in history, may want to explore information about the SS Great Eastern.  This ship, although not designed for cable laying, toward the end of its life it completed one of the first Atlantic cables in1866 which was quite an accomplishment in its time.  The ship its self is quite an interesting read as it was ahead of its time.

On Saturday, September 26, 2020, 09:10:21 AM PDT, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

An item of discussion on the morning net the other day was the underseas cables.  I came across this map which was titled, "Underwater Cables that Sustain the Internet."  I offer it here to further the discussion.  Where did I find this you ask?  Click here.  The map does not explain the line colors.

Gerry
WA6E

Skip - K6DGW

A search on "Cyrus Fields" will yield a great deal of info about the Atlantic cables. There's some interesting business/legal ramifications from the competition between the cables and point-to-point transatlantic wireless. <K6DGW>