The XYL’s Dinning Room hutch


Smitty - K9CCO
 

Well that’s pretty cool. This scared the hell out of my XYL while I was upstairs doing 15m voice. :)

https://youtube.com/shorts/-LdZ74jbniU?feature=share
--

73's

Smitty K9CCO


Matthew - KC6RUO
 

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to common man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call , "THE HAM RADIO ZONE".


Rob - N6XYZ
 

My paper shredder kicked on the other day as I was transmitting on 2m. 


Greg - KO6TH
 

Oh. My. Lord.  It's coming alive!  RUN!

{ahem...}

Recommend you look at your station grounding, and perhaps the home's as well.  Is your Mains power coming from a solar / battery system, or some other electronic blob?  Where are your antennas mounted?

That said, I've had some trouble with "noises" coming from the attic (where the upstairs furnace "lives"), "alien voices" coming through the living room Stereo system, and a GFI breaker that seems to trip when I run CW on 15 meters.  No fixes, as yet... 

If these two life forms get together, we're all in trouble.

Greg  KO6TH


Rob Sakowitz wrote:

My paper shredder kicked on the other day as I was transmitting on 2m. 



Smitty - K9CCO
 

I suspect my station ground is to blame (or lack of). Although Jennifer claims the lights used to randomly come on and go off before I was active from my current shack so there’s that. :)

The antenna is an off-center fed Windom for 40 meters in an inverted V configuration on the side of the house, not far from this cabinet.

I’m running off main‘s power with an Astron boat anchor.  I’ve thought about switch my HF rig to a battery powered setup to lower noise.  Is that a pipe dream?  Of course a station ground should also help noise.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

73,
SMITTY

On Jan 10, 2022 at 4:07 PM, <Greg - KO6TH> wrote:

Oh. My. Lord.  It's coming alive!  RUN!

{ahem...}

Recommend you look at your station grounding, and perhaps the home's as well.  Is your Mains power coming from a solar / battery system, or some other electronic blob?  Where are your antennas mounted?

That said, I've had some trouble with "noises" coming from the attic (where the upstairs furnace "lives"), "alien voices" coming through the living room Stereo system, and a GFI breaker that seems to trip when I run CW on 15 meters.  No fixes, as yet... 

If these two life forms get together, we're all in trouble.

Greg  KO6TH


Rob Sakowitz wrote:

My paper shredder kicked on the other day as I was transmitting on 2m. 



--

73's

Smitty K9CCO


Greg - KO6TH
 

Hi Smitty, Rob,

The challenge with Smitty's china cabinet is that a "touch" control is inherently a high impedance node, which is going to be susceptible to all sorts of RFI, static discharge, and other such mischief.  Apparently it's not protected well enough, so the "fix" will be to either move the source of energy (the antenna) farther away, or provide some sort of additional protection to "numb" that touch display enough to not be triggered. 

An easy to try (but long-shot) fix might be to put a snap-on ferrite choke (or two) on the cabinet's power cord, in case that's the path for the energy to get into the controller.  Still, you ought to have your station grounded for lightning / static discharge, regardless of the voodoo it might be using to animate otherwise inert appliances.  Operating from batteries won't change that need.

Rob, on the other hand...  That's a weird one.  The only paper shredders I've dealt with have a physical on/off switch to control them, which one would think should be really hard to trigger with RF energy.  Again, you might try a choke on the power cord, but that one is a bit harder to call. 

Anybody have any other non-invasive fixes?

Greg  KO6TH


Smitty K9CCO wrote:

I suspect my station ground is to blame (or lack of). Although Jennifer claims the lights used to randomly come on and go off before I was active from my current shack so there’s that. :)

The antenna is an off-center fed Windom for 40 meters in an inverted V configuration on the side of the house, not far from this cabinet.

I’m running off main‘s power with an Astron boat anchor.  I’ve thought about switch my HF rig to a battery powered setup to lower noise.  Is that a pipe dream?  Of course a station ground should also help noise.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice.

73,
SMITTY

On Jan 10, 2022 at 4:07 PM, <Greg - KO6TH> wrote:

Oh. My. Lord.  It's coming alive!  RUN!

{ahem...}

Recommend you look at your station grounding, and perhaps the home's as well.  Is your Mains power coming from a solar / battery system, or some other electronic blob?  Where are your antennas mounted?

That said, I've had some trouble with "noises" coming from the attic (where the upstairs furnace "lives"), "alien voices" coming through the living room Stereo system, and a GFI breaker that seems to trip when I run CW on 15 meters.  No fixes, as yet... 

If these two life forms get together, we're all in trouble.

Greg  KO6TH


Rob Sakowitz wrote:

My paper shredder kicked on the other day as I was transmitting on 2m. 




Clyde Campbell
 

LOL Just un plug it and move your shack down stairs. HF station grounding in non ground level shacks is problematic.
73
Clyde AB4CC


Lisa - KC6SLE
 

I agree. My shack is on a second level and RF grounding is a real PITA. Long run the shack is going to be at or just below ground level. 

My 10 meter station in Concord was in my shop at ground level. When I keyed up at 100 watts interesting things happened: furnace came on, GFI tripped…

“Let the learning begin”…


Greydon, KC6SLE


On Jan 11, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Clyde Campbell <jazzrockskier@...> wrote:

LOL Just un plug it and move your shack down stairs. HF station grounding in non ground level shacks is problematic.
73
Clyde AB4CC


Smitty - K9CCO
 

My shack will be moving downstairs later this year.  I’m converting space into a shack/office so my current shack is temporary which is why I’m dragging my feet on a two story ground solution.  I may just have to live with it for now.

Thanks all for the advice!  Now I just need to figure out how to get my antenna up higher than 15ft Rob. :). Kidding, it’s at 26ish feet today.

On Jan 11, 2022 at 12:36 PM, <Greydon Hicks> wrote:

I agree. My shack is on a second level and RF grounding is a real PITA. Long run the shack is going to be at or just below ground level. 

My 10 meter station in Concord was in my shop at ground level. When I keyed up at 100 watts interesting things happened: furnace came on, GFI tripped…

“Let the learning begin”…


Greydon, KC6SLE


On Jan 11, 2022, at 10:36 AM, Clyde Campbell <jazzrockskier@...> wrote:

LOL Just un plug it and move your shack down stairs. HF station grounding in non ground level shacks is problematic.
73
Clyde AB4CC

--

73's

Smitty K9CCO