Topics

Summits on the Air (SOTA) Activation Tomorrow

Orion, AI6JB

Good Evening Everyone!

I will activate Summits on the Air (SOTA) Peak W7N/TR-007, Genoa Peak, starting tomorrow, Sat., 8/10/19, at 16:00 local time (23:00 UTC) on the National FM Calling Frequency 146.520 MHz.  Genoa Peak is on the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  If you are in that area or are looking for a challenge, please listen for me.

Hope to hear tomorrow!

Orion -

I've been to the top of Genoa Peak a couple times for repeater issues. I can say people won't need to be "in the area" since it can see well past 100 miles in all directions!

- Jef

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:37 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
Good Evening Everyone!

I will activate Summits on the Air (SOTA) Peak W7N/TR-007, Genoa Peak, starting tomorrow, Sat., 8/10/19, at 16:00 local time (23:00 UTC) on the National FM Calling Frequency 146.520 MHz.  Genoa Peak is on the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  If you are in that area or are looking for a challenge, please listen for me.

Hope to hear tomorrow!

Alan Thompson

SOTA Activations - I had to read up whether one can use repeaters for VHF SOTA. Apparently no, but repeaters can be used to solicit SOTA simpley contacts.

http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2014/06/how-to-do-a-vhf-sota-activation/

Will try to break off around 4  this afternoon and listen for you.

Buena Suerte,

Alan

Gary KC3PO

Nothing heard... and nothing seen on SOTAwatch spots... did you summit? It's pretty windy where I'm at, guessing it's worse up there.

- Gary  KC3PO

Greg D

Brian AI6US was in contact with Orion via SMS this afternoon, and related it on the radio.  Orion's group wasn't able to get to the summit today, and will try again tomorrow.  Plan is to announce the details on SOTA Watch.  No mention of wind.

Greg  KO6TH

Gary KC3PO wrote:

Nothing heard... and nothing seen on SOTAwatch spots... did you summit? It's pretty windy where I'm at, guessing it's worse up there.

- Gary  KC3PO

Gary KC3PO

Thanks Greg, I'll keep an eye/ear out for him tomorrow.

If I get really ambitious (or bored?) I may even venture to a SOTA pile of dirt not too far away from me so we could peak to peak it.

- Gary  KC3PO

Alan Thompson

"I may even venture to a SOTA pile of dirt not too far away"

"Sodpile On The Air?"

:>)

Alan  -  W6WN

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Orion texted that the group is not wishing to wait for him to summit tomorrow. No SOTA tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will announce on the repeater.

(916) 770-7751 cell

"I may even venture to a SOTA pile of dirt not too far away"

"Sodpile On The Air?"

:>)

Alan  -  W6WN

Thanks for letting us know.  At least we conquered Colfax Hill today.

Greg  KO6TH