Topics

Summits on the Air (SOTA) Activation Tomorrow

Orion, AI6JB

Good Evening Everyone!

I will activate Summits on the Air (SOTA) Peak W7N/TR-007, Genoa Peak, starting tomorrow, Sat., 8/10/19, at 16:00 local time (23:00 UTC) on the National FM Calling Frequency 146.520 MHz.  Genoa Peak is on the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  If you are in that area or are looking for a challenge, please listen for me.

Hope to hear tomorrow!

Orion, AI6JB

Jef - N5JEF

Orion -

I've been to the top of Genoa Peak a couple times for repeater issues. I can say people won't need to be "in the area" since it can see well past 100 miles in all directions!

- Jef 

On Fri, Aug 9, 2019 at 11:37 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
Good Evening Everyone!

I will activate Summits on the Air (SOTA) Peak W7N/TR-007, Genoa Peak, starting tomorrow, Sat., 8/10/19, at 16:00 local time (23:00 UTC) on the National FM Calling Frequency 146.520 MHz.  Genoa Peak is on the east shore of Lake Tahoe.  If you are in that area or are looking for a challenge, please listen for me.

Hope to hear tomorrow!

Orion, AI6JB

Alan Thompson

SOTA Activations - I had to read up whether one can use repeaters for VHF SOTA. Apparently no, but repeaters can be used to solicit SOTA simpley contacts.

http://www.k0nr.com/wordpress/2014/06/how-to-do-a-vhf-sota-activation/

Will try to break off around 4  this afternoon and listen for you.

Buena Suerte,

Alan 

Gary KC3PO

Nothing heard... and nothing seen on SOTAwatch spots... did you summit? It's pretty windy where I'm at, guessing it's worse up there.

- Gary  KC3PO

Greg D

Brian AI6US was in contact with Orion via SMS this afternoon, and related it on the radio.  Orion's group wasn't able to get to the summit today, and will try again tomorrow.  Plan is to announce the details on SOTA Watch.  No mention of wind.

Greg  KO6TH

Gary KC3PO wrote:

Nothing heard... and nothing seen on SOTAwatch spots... did you summit? It's pretty windy where I'm at, guessing it's worse up there.

- Gary  KC3PO

Gary KC3PO

Thanks Greg, I'll keep an eye/ear out for him tomorrow.

If I get really ambitious (or bored?) I may even venture to a SOTA pile of dirt not too far away from me so we could peak to peak it.

- Gary  KC3PO

Alan Thompson

"I may even venture to a SOTA pile of dirt not too far away"

"Sodpile On The Air?"

:>)

Alan  -  W6WN

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Orion texted that the group is not wishing to wait for him to summit tomorrow. No SOTA tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will announce on the repeater.

Best Regards! 
Brian Gohl - AI6US 
(916) 770-7751 cell

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/10/19 7:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Gary KC3PO <kc3po@...>, sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Summits on the Air (SOTA) Activation Tomorrow

"Sodpile On The Air?"

Alan  -  W6WN

--
Brian- AI6US

Greg D

Thanks for letting us know.  At least we conquered Colfax Hill today.

Greg  KO6TH

Brian Gohl - AI6US wrote:

Orion texted that the group is not wishing to wait for him to summit tomorrow. No SOTA tomorrow. Tomorrow, I will announce on the repeater.

Best Regards! 
Brian Gohl - AI6US 
(916) 770-7751 cell

-------- Original message --------
Date: 8/10/19 7:29 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Summits on the Air (SOTA) Activation Tomorrow

"Sodpile On The Air?"

Alan  -  W6WN

--
Brian- AI6US

Gary KC3PO

Ah, that's too bad.

To answer Greg's question... I'm in Carson City, so W7N/TR-075 or W7N/TR-070 would have been nearby possibilities that wouldn't take too much time/effort to get to. 

- Gary  KC3PO

Jef - N5JEF

It occurs to me that in regard to emergency preparedness, it could be valuable (and fun) to create a compendium of SOTA activations covering all peaks in Placer-Nevada-El Dorado counties. Describing not only the simplex contacts and various repeater coverage from the peak, but also the best route and how long to get there. 

It's not hard to imagine a wildfire or other emergency taking out a vital repeater and Incident Command scrambling to figure out the best practical/accessible location for a portable repeater or even simplex relay from peak to peak.

I know I'd like to see this resource. Maybe SOTA would inspire some to contribute to it...?

- Jef N5JEF

Richard - AA6RS

Jef
What a great idea!
I would be happy to help in anyway I can. 

Rich.  AA6RS

Richard Snyder

m  510-918-3409

Meadow Vista

AA6RS@...

"In small things considered is the world revealed"

On Aug 11, 2019, at 08:30, Jef - N5JEF <jef@...> wrote:

It occurs to me that in regard to emergency preparedness, it could be valuable (and fun) to create a compendium of SOTA activations covering all peaks in Placer-Nevada-El Dorado counties. Describing not only the simplex contacts and various repeater coverage from the peak, but also the best route and how long to get there. 

It's not hard to imagine a wildfire or other emergency taking out a vital repeater and Incident Command scrambling to figure out the best practical/accessible location for a portable repeater or even simplex relay from peak to peak.

I know I'd like to see this resource. Maybe SOTA would inspire some to contribute to it...?

- Jef N5JEF