Topics

Radio Suggestions for New Ham

Gerry - WA6E

I have a friend who has been a ham for a little more than a year. He earned his technician license at one of our Al's exam sessions. He has been listening using a Baofeng radio.  He is interested in ARES and now, after listening to the Tevis Cup activity last week-end, is interested in getting more involved.  He wants to buy a radio and put it in his Jeep CJ-5.  He has asked me for advice.

His CJ is not as rugged as Bob's (UDA's) but does have the hinged front windshield and a removable fiberglass roof and he does use it off road.  So I'm thinking a hood edge mount of some sort for the antenna.  Or maybe one that mounts on the spare tire rack on the back.

Anybody have a suggestion for a relatively rugged, easily removable radio?  Would be nice to have both 2 meters and UHF but I suspect a one band radio would do.  He doesn't need digital and I've thought that a radio with a separate control head would be nice so he could pop the control head off the dash and put it in his pocket when he leaves the car.  I've perused the DX Engineering catalog and nothing jumped right out.  Any suggestions?

Gerry
WA6E

carl.wf6j@gmail.com

Ask Dennis, WU6X he has HF and VHF in his Jeep Cherokee. Also Brian, AI6US

Had a bunch of guys on the Elmer Net tonight and that’s what we were all talking about. Just, antenna (2M) on rear or top. Something like a Yaesu or Kenwood 2M or dual band rig. If he wants HF, then a rich that will also do that.
73,
Carl
WF6J

On Aug 21, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

[...]

Dennis - WU6X

I suggested an Alinco DR-735T dual-bander ... great value, easy to program on the fly and the removable head can be mounted in either direction should he want to mount the radio upside down on the roll bar, etc. 50w out on 2m with dual VFO's, full cross-band capable ... hard to beat.

If he can find a used DR-635T, which is what my Son and I have (3 of them), even better.

Dennis, WU6X

Ask Dennis, WU6X he has HF and VHF in his Jeep Cherokee.  Also Brian, AI6US

Had a bunch of guys on the Elmer Net tonight and that’s what we were all talking about.  Just, antenna (2M) on rear or top. Something like a Yaesu or Kenwood 2M or dual band rig. If he wants HF, then a rich that will also do that.
73,
Carl
WF6J

> On Aug 21, 2019, at 8:19 PM, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:
>
> I have a friend who has been a ham for a little more than a year. He earned his technician license at one of our Al's exam sessions. He has been listening using a Baofeng radio.  He is interested in ARES and now, after listening to the Tevis Cup activity last week-end, is interested in getting more involved.  He wants to buy a radio and put it in his Jeep CJ-5.  He has asked me for advice.
>
> His CJ is not as rugged as Bob's (UDA's) but does have the hinged front windshield and a removable fiberglass roof and he does use it off road.  So I'm thinking a hood edge mount of some sort for the antenna.  Or maybe one that mounts on the spare tire rack on the back.
>
> Anybody have a suggestion for a relatively rugged, easily removable radio?  Would be nice to have both 2 meters and UHF but I suspect a one band radio would do.  He doesn't need digital and I've thought that a radio with a separate control head would be nice so he could pop the control head off the dash and put it in his pocket when he leaves the car.  I've perused the DX Engineering catalog and nothing jumped right out.  Any suggestions?
>
> Gerry
> WA6E

Kenneth Crouse <ken.crouse@...>

The Yaesu FT8900R is in the similar price range as the Alinco product Dennis mentions. If I’m reading the spec’s correctly, the Alinco offers a 5/20/50W options and the Yaesu 5/10/20/50W.

73 Ken K6KEC

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

Edited

The Yaesu FT-8900R seems to be somewhat popular in the club.  I have one, Orion AI6JB has one, and I believe Brian AI6US has one.  It's a quad-band with a very basic crossband capability.  In retrospect, I wish I'd gone with the Kenwood TM-V71A.  The Kenwood doesn't have 6m or 10m, but its crossband functionality is more capable.  It can do one-way crossband (for when you can hear a repeater from your HT, but it can't hear your 5w-into-a-dummy-load) and it can actually identify itself every 10 minutes!

Both of these are slightly more expensive than that Alinco.

Also, TYT makes something of a clone of the Yaesu FT-8900R, which they call the TYT-9800.  It is also a quad-band rig with crossband capabilities (though, I've heard it can sometimes get stuck in transmit).  It's only about $200 and it has the added benefit of being able to receive, but not transmit on, 11m.  So, if he's off road and with a group that's still using CB, at least he'd be able to listen.

--Nathan K6NDC

Herb - KM6JBI

Gerry,

I'm selling my Kenwood TM-281A moble. It's a single band but a very good radio. I'll even through in an antenna.

-Herb KM6JBI

--
Herb Garcia, KM6JBI

carl.wf6j@gmail.com

The Kenwood is excellent. That’s what I use Mobile and on the Elmer Net.  Well built.

73, Carl, WF6J

On Aug 22, 2019, at 8:23 AM, Herb - KM6JBI <hpgarcia70@...> wrote:

[...]

Herb-

Thanks.  I'm thinking he might be better off with a radio that has a detachable control head so he can pop it out easily when leaving the jeep.  Not sure the 281 lends itself to that.  Anyway - will discuss with him.  If you can sell your radio - do it.  Don't wait for us to do something.  Thanks again.

Gerry
WA6E

On 8/22/2019 8:23 AM, Herb - KM6JBI wrote:
[...]

Gerry: Both the 8900 and V71 have detachable front operation panels that easily remove. I don’t know about the Alinco or the TYT models.

If looking at the V71, he may wish to consider the secondary market through QTH.com or other sites. This may be a bit deep in the weeds, but with the V71, models with serial numbers below B8610081 have a function when using DTMF commands not available in more recent models (cut-off is roughly October 2018 / same issue effects the TM-D710GA). WS100/Tevis (Joe K6SAT) uses these radios to set up remote cross-band repeaters in some of the canyons where a DTMF code is sent from a more accessible aid station to turn the cross-band repeater on/off allowing them to be set up the day or two prior. I recently picked up a V71 with this feature through QTH. I’m just getting started with the V71, but really like Kenwood’s menu process for various settings - seems a lot more intuitive than the Yaesu. BTW - pretty easy to download the manuals online (DXE has them linked in the Documentation tab for each radio) and compare processes for similar tasks (repeater set-up, cross-band, Packet operations such as WinLink, EchoLink, etc.)

Bottom line is lots of great, experienced hams in the group (I’m still one of the new kids). You might bring your friend to the club breakfast on the 31st - probably several radios will be present in vehicles in the parking lot and I’m sure club members in attendance will be more than willing to show-and-tell their installations.

Good luck!

73 Ken K6KEC

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

Edited

That's fascinating, Ken!

I didn't know about that feature of the V71.  That's one more reason that the Kenwood makes the most sense if you really value cross-band capability.  Though the Yaesu's cross-band functionality is extremely basic, I heard that, during Tevis, "Orion AI6JB moved his radio rig to the end of Bath Rd to help communications into the canyon."  So, both are quite useful, but if I knew then what I know now, I would have picked up the Kenwood instead of the Yaesu.

--Nathan K6NDC

Dennis - WU6X

It does not get simpler than how Alinco did it on their DR-635T and now the DR-735T ... Thrust me, we have 3 635's in our family and I've personally owned the others!
Dennis, WU6X