Topics

Radio job just posted at Placer County

Jef Allbright

This position just posted on the Placer County jobs website.  I'd love to see a skilled ham, someone who truly enjoys radio and related technology--join the team here.  Please pass along to any likely candidates.

"Placer County Information Technology's Telecommunications Division is seeking a radio system professional. Working in a team environment, this position is responsible for designing, implementing, operating and maintaining the Placer County P-25 digital trunked land mobile radio system and subscriber units; conventional analog land mobile radio systems; microwave network; Public-Safety Answering Point (PSAP) and dispatch center. This position will work closely with the County's telecom service providers and internal County customers, as well as maintenance vendors. The radio system network consists of products from Motorola, Hewlett Packard, Aviat, NICE and Kenwood.

Ideal candidates should have in-depth knowledge of radio frequency theory, technologies, troubleshooting, installation, programming and maintenance in both conventional and trunking systems; as well as a thorough understanding of networking concepts, subscriber unit programming, system optimization and interference mitigation.

Additionally, the ideal candidate should be experienced and skilled in vendor/partner management, project management, customer service and have excellent problem solving and troubleshooting skills. While this position is stationed in Auburn, some travel to other work locations throughout Placer County, including Tahoe, Lincoln and Roseville areas is required.

Possession of an FCC General Radio Operator’s License and other industry certifications are desirable but not required."

- Jef  N5JEF

Scott M Vogelsang

Jef.

I am interested in this job, hold an FCC Commercial Radio License as well as an Extra class ham ticket.
I do not have recent experience in the field they are asking and very little P-25 experience.

Can you assist me in getting experience and/or a foot in the door here?
I have been transitioning from working in business development in the SF Bay Area since 2013 and have recently moved back to Roseville with my wife... we are both starting again in Placer County.

\Scott Vogelsang
wa6yne
Scott Michael Vogelsang
"Solving Problems
       Identifying Opportunities."
S.F.Bay Region 415-234-9400 Mobile
Capitol Corridor 916-212-0400 Home
PO Box 341190 * Sacramento CA 95834

Jef Allbright

Scott -

By the way, when I was hired, I too had a commercial FCC license and Amateur Extra, and had been self-employed doing something very similar to business development for the previous ten years. 

I've been a technical geek (especially radio and software development) pretty much all my life, but had little direct experience with P25 besides being familiar with the theory and programming some radios for the fire department. Networking experience I gained in the course of business, but I was never an assigned radio or IT professional.

I can say that the position requirements describe the hypothetical "ideal candidate", and everyone is different.  If you're interested, go with what you have and throw your hat in the ring...  

- Jef

On Sat, Jan 5, 2019 at 8:58 AM Scott Michael Vogelsang <s.m.vogels@...> wrote:
Jef.

I am interested in this job, hold an FCC Commercial Radio License as well as an Extra class ham ticket.
I do not have recent experience in the field they are asking and very little P-25 experience.

Can you assist me in getting experience and/or a foot in the door here?
I have been transitioning from working in business development in the SF Bay Area since 2013 and have recently moved back to Roseville with my wife... we are both starting again in Placer County.

\Scott Vogelsang
wa6yne
Scott Michael Vogelsang
"Solving Problems
       Identifying Opportunities."
S.F.Bay Region 415-234-9400 Mobile
Capitol Corridor 916-212-0400 Home
PO Box 341190 * Sacramento CA 95834