Topics

Radio for the Rest of Us presentation video is up on YouTube

Greg D

Hi folks,

I've uploaded the video from Alan W6WN's January presentation "Radio for
the Rest of Us" to the club's YouTube channel. If you missed his
excellent presentation, or want to share it with friends, here's the link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD6crD9I_IY

Enjoy!

Greg KO6TH

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

In Alan's presentation, he highlighted the fact that Puerto Rico has a lot of GMRS repeaters:

After the recent earthquakes in Puerto Rico and the Red Cross requesting assistance from the amateur, GMRS, and CB communities, it is not surprising to see them continue to build out that infrastructure.  The weekly update I received from myGMRS.com says that they just added 7 more in just the past week (bringing the total count listed for PR to 83)!

The strongest argument for GMRS repeaters in our area is that they can run full 50W, in contrast with our ham repeaters on 440 that are crippled by Pave Paws restrictions.

The other reason is that family members automatically share an individual's GMRS license.

- Jef

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Nathan Chilton - K6NDC <k6ndc@...> wrote:

In Alan's presentation, he highlighted the fact that Puerto Rico has a lot of GMRS repeaters:

After the recent earthquakes in Puerto Rico and the Red Cross requesting assistance from the amateur, GMRS, and CB communities, it is not surprising to see them continue to build out that infrastructure.  The weekly update I received from myGMRS.com says that they just added 7 more in just the past week (bringing the total count listed for PR to 83)!

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Jeff,

Don't you believe at this point that most of the Pave Paws power restrictions have been self-imposed by the repeater trustees?

Seems like no repeaters have actually ever been issued any notifications of interference. Do you know otherwise?

(916) 770-7751 cell

The strongest argument for GMRS repeaters in our area is that they can run full 50W, in contrast with our ham repeaters on 440 that are crippled by Pave Paws restrictions.

The other reason is that family members automatically share an individual's GMRS license.

- Jef

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Nathan Chilton - K6NDC <k6ndc@...> wrote:

In Alan's presentation, he highlighted the fact that Puerto Rico has a lot of GMRS repeaters:

After the recent earthquakes in Puerto Rico and the Red Cross requesting assistance from the amateur, GMRS, and CB communities, it is not surprising to see them continue to build out that infrastructure.  The weekly update I received from myGMRS.com says that they just added 7 more in just the past week (bringing the total count listed for PR to 83)!

Alan Thompson

I'd like to add a third key point in that average "non-Ham" citizens aren't required to study and pass a test to get a license to use GMRS. We've received lots of feedback from Fire Safe Council Members that learning electronics and passing a technical exam intimidated people from getting a Ham radio license.

I like to think of GMRS as UHF "Ham Radio Lite" :).

Jef - N5JEF

Brian -

I have heard from various persons who have been "requested" by the folks at Beale AFB that they reduce their ERP substantially.

Just this morning, I saw the following in my weekly RepeaterBook updates (John AB6LI is also the owner of the .310 repeater above Auburn at Iron Mine / Sugar Pine Ridge.):

Grass Valley, CA

AB6LI
Repeater ID: 06-1728

Downlink:442.15000
Uplink:447.15000
Offset:+5.0 MHz
Uplink Tone:151.4
County:Nevada
Call:AB6LI
Use:OPEN
Op Status:ON-AIR On-Air
Coverage:Wide area.
Features:Linked.
Notes:Requested to reduce output power by 44 dB to mitigate PAVE PAWS interference.
Coordination:NARCC
Last update: 2020-01-25

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 9:40 AM Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:
[...]

Edited

GMRS is really an interesting service.  You only have 8 frequencies that can be used as repeater outputs (frequencies which can also be used by FRS radios), so there is the possibility of congestion.  But that also means that you can have two people on HTs talking to each other, who could be dozens of miles apart, who might be hitting different repeaters, which are not actually linked, but are both transmitting up to 50w on the same frequency.  So I might be going through a ch15 repeater and someone else might be going through a different ch15 repeater, and we can be using two totally different repeaters, but communicate with each other as long as I can hear his repeater and he can hear mine.

There is also the use-case of setting up a small, low-power GMRS repeater for a community watch program, like the new 5w repeater in Granite Bay.

My entire family is covered by my GMRS license and, at some point, I'm going to let them know what that means and try to get them familiar with using one.

It's really interesting to talk to the guys using the "Mountain Top" repeater here in Auburn.  They are very good about identifying with their full call signs, but they then just refer to each other using the 3-digit, numerical suffix, and they mostly sound like hams, except that they use "10-4" all the time.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 9:28 AM Jef Allbright <jef@...> wrote:
The strongest argument for GMRS repeaters in our area is that they can run full 50W, in contrast with our ham repeaters on 440 that are crippled by Pave Paws restrictions.

The other reason is that family members automatically share an individual's GMRS license.

- Jef

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 8:45 AM Nathan Chilton - K6NDC <k6ndc@...> wrote:

In Alan's presentation, he highlighted the fact that Puerto Rico has a lot of GMRS repeaters:

After the recent earthquakes in Puerto Rico and the Red Cross requesting assistance from the amateur, GMRS, and CB communities, it is not surprising to see them continue to build out that infrastructure.  The weekly update I received from myGMRS.com says that they just added 7 more in just the past week (bringing the total count listed for PR to 83)!

Jef - N5JEF

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 3:33 PM AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:
Hello Jef Allbright,

Interesting! Thanks!

And then there was one!

I heard you like examples, so here are a couple more...

  •  A second round of testing by US Air Force engineers has resulted in the identification of an additional seventy-five 70 cm repeaters in Northern California that must adjust their operations to eliminate harmful interference to the PAVE PAWS Updated Early Warning Radar (UEWR) located at Beale Air Force Base near Sacramento.   [2008 - https://www.eham.net/article/18519]

  • C.A.R.L.A. has complied with the requests from the ARRL that were sent via certified letter recently. This means that C.A.R.L.A. 6 & 9 have been lowered in power to 5W.   [2009 - http://www.carlaradio.net/wattsnew/index.php?wid=5

- Jef

Likely his repeater in Grass Valley is pretty close to Beal.

(916) 770-7751

-------------------------
On Mon, 27 Jan 2020 11:41:48 -0800, Jef Allbright <jef@...> wrote:

[...]

Steven - KK6YXC

I like the coverage of the "mountain top" repeater, covers my house in the Bowman area to my elderly in laws in meadow Vista, just wish it had e-power because it seemed to go down during the pge outages.
-steven
KK6YXC
Wrcv366

Jef - N5JEF

I don't recognize the "Mountain Top" repeater.  Which one is that?

Maybe its users could contribute for a back-up power system...?

- Jef N5JEF, WQYJ498

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 6:53 PM Steven KK6YXC via Groups.Io <fframe63=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like the coverage of the "mountain top" repeater, covers my house in the Bowman area to my elderly in laws in meadow Vista, just wish it had e-power because it seemed to go down during the pge outages.
-steven
KK6YXC
Wrcv366
_.

Jef - N5JEF

Ah, that's the GMRS repeater at Jim and Sharron's house -- Iron Mine.  Excellent location.

- Jef

On Sun, Feb 2, 2020 at 1:41 PM Steven Frame <fframe63@...> wrote:

I sent the owner a message about e-power, and I would like to help with it but never heard back.

Steven Frame
KK6YXC
WRCV366
On Feb 2, 2020 7:27 AM, Jef Allbright <jef@...> wrote:
I don't recognize the "Mountain Top" repeater.  Which one is that?

Maybe its users could contribute for a back-up power system...?

- Jef N5JEF, WQYJ498

On Sat, Feb 1, 2020 at 6:53 PM Steven KK6YXC via Groups.Io <fframe63=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like the coverage of the "mountain top" repeater, covers my house in the Bowman area to my elderly in laws in meadow Vista, just wish it had e-power because it seemed to go down during the pge outages.
-steven
KK6YXC
Wrcv366
_.

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

I can hit that "Mountain Top" repeater easily with an HT from inside my home in Auburn or from inside my car with an HT on my 2-mile commute.

Jim - KI6AZH

What repeater are you referring to as the mountain top repeater?

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

It's a repeater in Auburn on channel 15:
https://mygmrs.com/view?id=1074

Alan Thompson

Hello All,

As an update, EDCARC is setting up Neighborhood Radio Watch programs with two Fire Safe Councils, and three more are lined up. An unintended benefit is that it's become a pretty effective recruiting tool. At our January Club meeting, we had ~44 attendees, a recent record, with several new visitors as a direct result of the community outreach. The FSC residents "get it" and we're always surprised at how eager they are to learn how to use radios. They're now pushing us rather than the other way around.

One new thing is that the EDCARC has a box full of pagers that they intend to deploy as a kind of "Community Early Warning System" ("CEWS" or "Ques" system). The pagers can be programmed to emit a very loud alert tone and audible message to wake people up in the event of a local emergency or evacuation. They can be set off remotely by entering a confidential code sent from a Ham or GMRS radio through a repeater. The hope is this system can also be used by the Sheriff's Office and Fire to alert residents when needed. No subscription to a pager service is needed. The system runs entirely off radio.

Alan Thompson -  W6WN / WRCT301

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

Alan,

It's exciting to hear that people are responding so positively to the "community radio" concept and that people are getting involved.

Where can we find out more about these pagers?

--Nathan K6NDC/WREM784

Alan Thompson

Bob Hess (now 2020 President at EDCARC) has the pagers, and came up with the idea on how to use them for community safety.

His description:
When I took over the EDCARC repeater system, I switched over to Arcom Comtrollers for all of our repeaters.  These controllers have digital audio recorders on-board, with several channels available.  I recorded the paging tone on one channel.  When I punch in the code to play it back, it plays the tones and sets off the pagers.

The pagers we use are Motorola Minitor III's and IV's.  Most pagers will work.  The Motorola's are readily available and easily programmed.  Earlier Motorola pagers, which will work, are bigger and much more difficult to program.

Alan -  W6WN

Jef - N5JEF

Nice!  +1 for real actions to promote community safety!

- Jef  N5JEF / WQYJ498

On Mon, Feb 10, 2020 at 10:39 AM Alan Thompson <Alan.W6WN@...> wrote:
Bob Hess (now 2020 President at EDCARC) has the pagers, and came up with the idea on how to use them for community safety.

His description:
When I took over the EDCARC repeater system, I switched over to Arcom Comtrollers for all of our repeaters.  These controllers have digital audio recorders on-board, with several channels available.  I recorded the paging tone on one channel.  When I punch in the code to play it back, it plays the tones and sets off the pagers.

The pagers we use are Motorola Minitor III's and IV's.  Most pagers will work.  The Motorola's are readily available and easily programmed.  Earlier Motorola pagers, which will work, are bigger and much more difficult to program.

Alan -  W6WN

_._,_._,_

Greg D

Do the pagers run in the ham bands?  The tones I get, but how does the RF part work?

Greg  KO6TH

Jef - N5JEF wrote:

[...]

Bob demo'ed this at a Community Radio Workshop we did last week in Lotus. He used his HT to set off the pager through the Club's 147.825 MHz repeater, located in Camino, about ~10 miles away LOS.
--

Best Regards,

Alan Thompson -  W6WN