Topics

Proposed New Fees for Amateur Radio and Reduction in GMRS Fees

Alan - W6WN

Citing the costs involved in the automated processes, routine maintenance of the Commission’s Universal Licensing System (ULS) and limited instances where staff needs to be involved in the application process, the FCC is proposing an across-the-board fee of $50 for new and modified licenses in the personal radio services, which includes Amateur Radio and the General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS). For GMRS, this is a reduction of the current $70 fee.

The FCC also proposes these fees for license renewals and requests for vanity call signs, the latter which had its filing fee eliminated several years ago. The FCC is proposing to still not charge for administrative updates, such as mailing address changes on amateur or GMRS applications. Amateur Radio will remain exempt from annual regulatory fees under Section 9 of the "RAY BAUM'S Act."

Section 8 of the RAY BAUM’S Act does not provide any kind of statutory exemption for filing fees in the Amateur Radio Service, which, historically has had no filing fees.

https://www.kb6nu.com/fcc-proposes-new-fees-for-amateur-radio-licenses/

So..., if you're still thinking about getting your Ham License or Vanity Call Sign, save $50 and get started Now!

Michael - N6MRP

Well, I just paid $70 for the GMRS license, but I did not have to pay for the vanity call early this year. C'est la vie.

Mike N6MRP

On Sat, Aug 29, 2020 at 5:46 PM Alan - W6WN <Alan.W6WN@...> wrote:
[...]

Clyde Campbell

When,  I got my vanity call ten years ago the FCC charged $13.40 . The renewal this year was online and free.
73
Clyde AB4CC