From: Eric Struble <eric@...>
Date: Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 2:07 PM
Subject: Re: [PCSARComm] WL2K Gateway Up and Running
To: PCSARComm@groups.io <PCSARComm@groups.io>

On Mon, Jan 13, 2020 at 9:24 AM Eric Struble <eric@...> wrote:
I wanted to let the group that I've installed a new WL2K Gateway in Auburn (with my own funds). I had planned to notify the group at next Monday's meeting but I'll be up in Portland battling ice.

For those who don't know what this WL2K gateway is; its a AX-25 Packet gateway into the Winlink cloud network. The Winlink network is a messaging system that links on HF, AX-25 Telnet or SMTP to collect and forward messages worldwide. A quick history of Winlink, I believe it started out as a program called SailMail where boaters world wide could subscriber to a commercial system that would collect and forward messages primarily on HF frequencies using the Pactor protocol.

Here is the Wikipedia Definition of WL2K:
Winlink, also known as the Winlink 2000 Network, is a worldwide radio messaging system that uses amateur-band radio frequencies to provide radio interconnection services that include email with attachments, position reporting, weather bulletins, emergency relief communications, and message relay.

So, you ask what's this have to do with SAR? Back in 2005 some of you might remember Hurricane Katrina. As it turned out FEMA was unable to provide any reliable communications into the effected area and radio amateurs used WL2K to establish communications within the destruction zone. While, the PCSO might not ever allow us to operate such a network within our narrowing mission, I felt that I could provide the community with a tool that would be beneficial.

The system I installed up on Sugar Pine ridge east of Auburn and operates on VHF packet frequencies of 145.630 with an ID of W6SAR-10. One of my main motivation for building the systems was to support both the WS100 Rin and the Tevis Cup Ride which have been using WL2K for years to send in runner/rider reports into the race officials. This location covers the the lower Sacramento Valley and up into most of the Gold Country in Placer Co. The coverage is similar to the 145.310 repeater (both are at the same location).

So, feel free to get a WL2K account and try it out for yourself. Here is a link to their web site: https://winlink.org

TTUL
Eric, W7CSD

Ken Crouse

Jef - is that the W6SAR-10 gateway or another? Thanks, Ken K6KEC

Jef - N5JEF

Ken -

Yes, it is ID W6SAR-10.

- Jef