Topics

Orion providing Technician class!

Jef - N5JEF

Orion -

I just heard a few minutes of your speaking about the Technician class you will be providing.

I want to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Thanks for making it a real training program spread over 5 or 6 sessions, rather than the "ham-crams" that produce hams who don't really understand even the basics of radio and electronics and leaves them so susceptible to all the radio folk-lore that sadly passes for knowledge in this field.

[Yeah, I know the argument about getting new people into the hobby, and then they will learn the technology.  Yeah, right.]

To really learn something like this requires real effort.  Thank you very much for your substantial investment!

- Jef

Orion, AI6JB

Jef,

You are welcome!  This kind of came out of the blue.  A scout we helped with the Radio Merit Badge a couple of years ago emailed saying he got a radio for his birthday (FT-450D) and wondered if I could help him learn how to use it and get his license.  He also has a friend who is very interested.

So I thought it is an excellent opportunity for SFARC to get into the teaching game.  The grand plan is to develop a General Class and eventually an Extra Class after the initial Tech.

Any chance you might be interested in being a guest instructor?  Perhaps when we roll-out General or Extra?

73

Orion Endres, AI6JB

1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383

(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.

I just heard a few minutes of your speaking about the Technician class you will be providing.

I want to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Thanks for making it a real training program spread over 5 or 6 sessions, rather than the "ham-crams" that produce hams who don't really understand even the basics of radio and electronics and leaves them so susceptible to all the radio folk-lore that sadly passes for knowledge in this field.

[Yeah, I know the argument about getting new people into the hobby, and then they will learn the technology.  Yeah, right.]

To really learn something like this requires real effort.  Thank you very much for your substantial investment!

- Jef

Jef - N5JEF

Orion—

I'm certainly interested in helping, especially with General and Extra.  I'm just hesitant to commit right now due to some serious ongoing time constraints.

I'm also eager to prepare more training materials with useful graphics and animations.  Will share when I can.

- Jef

On Fri, Jul 17, 2020 at 10:42 AM <ojendres@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you Jef!  I’ll keep you in the loop.  Feel free to contribute when you can.

73 Orion, AI6JB

I just heard a few minutes of your speaking about the Technician class you will be providing.

I want to say "Thank you, thank you, thank you!  Thanks for making it a real training program spread over 5 or 6 sessions, rather than the "ham-crams" that produce hams who don't really understand even the basics of radio and electronics and leaves them so susceptible to all the radio folk-lore that sadly passes for knowledge in this field.

[Yeah, I know the argument about getting new people into the hobby, and then they will learn the technology.  Yeah, right.]

To really learn something like this requires real effort.  Thank you very much for your substantial investment!

- Jef

Phil

Hi Orion,

I'd like to contribute to the training classes, if you could use the help.

I can make materials, demos, or present if you like. I agree with Jef's comments about training, and I think that new hams will get more enjoyment out of the hobby if we do a little more than just teach to the test. The training should be fun and should open the participants eyes to all the cool things to do in ham radio.

73

Phil KM6NFS