Topics

Online VE Testing

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Should we investigate offering an online exam option?
https://kl7aa.org/vec/remote-testing/

Stuart - AK6XR

As there would need to be 3 VEs in presence somehow it would be interesting how it could be done.... And the Honor system would really need to be in place!

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Was thinking about using an app like  GoTo Meeting or Zoom and either a file share or a secure exam document that could not be easily saved to the user's device. The user would be required to have a live camera feed and maybe even a screen share so VE could observe the exam. WIth the surge in online schooling, there is likely an existing solution for online exams.

Agree on the honor system! Bottom line, locks keep honest people honest....

(916) 770-7751

-------------------------

On Tue, 17 Mar 2020 10:15:29 -0700, Stuart - AK6XR <stuclark@...> wrote:

As there would need to be 3 VEs in presence somehow it would be interesting how it could be done.... And the Honor system would really need to be in place!

KB6SQT - Sam

I’m about ready to sit for the General and Extra. I’m open either way
Sam

Sam Frazier

Sam Frazier
Attorney at Law

Frazier Law Team
Senior Trial Attorney

Trial of Civil Cases
Employment and Wrongful Termination
Estate and Tax Planning
Admitted United States Tax Court
California Supreme Court
California Federal Court
Colorado Federal Court

President & CEO
Attorneys Tax Service LLC
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Corporate Offices
Auburn, California

California Detectives
President and Qualified Manager
La Jolla, California

Grand Master 10th DAN
World MATA Tang Soo Do Foundation
Founder and Executive Director

Clown Ministries International
Co-Executive Director

Frazier Winery and Gardens
Head Wine Maker
Assistant to Head Gardener

Auburn, California
530 888-6500  cell

La Jolla, California
858-456-5822 cell

On Mar 17, 2020, at 10:03 AM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

Should we investigate offering an online exam option?
https://kl7aa.org/vec/remote-testing/

Gerry - WA6E

Apparently we would have to get permission of the FCC.  That is what Anchorage said they had to do.

Here is what section 97.509(c) of the FCC rules says:  (c) Each administering VE must observe the examinee throughout the entire examination. The administering VEs are responsible for the proper conduct and necessary supervision of each examination. The administering VEs must immediately terminate the examination upon failure of the examinee to comply with their instructions.

Apparently the FCC has been getting around this by liberally interpreting the ADA and Section K of 97.509 which says, "
(k) The administering VEs must accommodate an examinee whose physical disabilities require a special examination procedure. The administering VEs may require a physician's certification indicating the nature of the disability before determining which, if any, special procedures must be used."

I believe we would have to get FCC permission too.  At least Anchorage can argue that the geography prevents some people from getting to the test site and warrants the exception to the rule.  What's our excuse?  Do we really want to get into this mess?

Gerry
WA6E

On 3/17/2020 10:03 AM, Brian Gohl - AI6US wrote:
Should we investigate offering an online exam option?
https://kl7aa.org/vec/remote-testing/

Certainly would be an excellent time to offer an alternative to having absolutely no exams. You are correct, we might not want to get involved in a mess, but what if this is the norm into the foreseeable future?

Just as we are considering ways to conduct club business, possibly we need to explore VE in the new reality?

With everyone's current focus on survival, social media posts offering alternative communication for when "TP hits the fan", might attract many new individuals to the hobby and into our club. If they have no testing options, it could be a missed opportunity.

(916) 770-7751 cell

[...]

Placer County COVID-19 compliant Amateur Radio VE testing room. LOL

KB6SQT - Sam

Just before I was to take my General and Extra exams in San Diego the fires destroyed my home and my complete Ham Shack. I’m coming up to speed once again. I fear it may all be my fault!?!?!

Sam Frazier
KB6SQT

On Mar 17, 2020, at 2:10 PM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

[...]

A possibility might be SKYPE, FACETIME or a video service such as I have used to take love video depositions. All. Courtroom appearances other than an actual trial are mandatory in the San Diego Superior Courts snd optional (soon to be mandatory) in Placer County.

On Mar 17, 2020, at 1:48 PM, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

[...]

Not love..... but long.
Whoever invented autocorrect should burn in hello.