Topics

Now the hard part...

Greg D

Hi folks,

So with Field Day 2020 in the rear view mirror, the hard part starts...
preparing the logs.

I have a combination of WSJT-X contacts (33) on the computer, along with
paper logs (23 + 1 satellite *). WSJT-X appears to be able to export
the logs in Cabrillo format, but how can I add my paper logs to them?
The common format might be a spreadsheet, a combination of the wsjtx.log
file copied into a spreadsheet, with the paper entries added by hand,
then exported to a text file. There's also the bonus points, for
Winlink messages, ARRL Bulletin, etc.

Does that work for both the club and ARRL?

Thanks,

Greg KO6TH

* Yes, one satellite, K5TA in NM! Actually there were two, but I
can't find the other station's call (ended in either RR or MM) among my
scribbles, and I didn't remember their exchange. Note to self: Get an
audio recording of everything. I have the equipment; use it!

Orion, AI6JB

Yes Greg, it works for the Club, but not ARRL!

ARRL wants either a Dupe Sheet or Cabrillo file. I am afraid you will have to combine all your different logs into one for the ARRL submission.

73
Orion Endres, AI6JB
1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383
(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean? 73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators. It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.

[...]

Gerry - WA6E

So now I'm confused.  What does the ARRL want?  So far the answers I've seen are dupe sheet or cabrillo file but apparently regardless of which one you submit you must manually fill in the form on their website.

Gerry
WA6E

On 6/30/2020 12:15 PM, Orion, AI6JB wrote:
[...]

Dennis - WU6X

Carrillo file AND yes, you must still fill the form manually. That’s the way it’s always been ... I had been doing this for the for Club years.

Dennis
iPhone Mobile

On Jun 30, 2020, at 1:08 PM, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

[...]

Michael - N6MRP

ARRL Cabrillo File for Field Day can be found here, in case anyone needs it.

https://b4h.net/cabforms/arrlfd_cab3.php

Mike N6MRP

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

[...]

Actually, that is NOT where you "find" the Cabrillo file, but where you begin the process of uploading "your" own Cabrillo log file.

ARRL Cabrillo File for Field Day can be found here, in case anyone needs it.

https://b4h.net/cabforms/arrlfd_cab3.php

Mike N6MRP

On Tue, Jun 30, 2020 at 1:08 PM Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:

> So now I'm confused.  What does the ARRL want?  So far the answers I've
> seen are dupe sheet or cabrillo file but apparently regardless of which
> one you submit you must manually fill in the form on their website.
>
> Gerry
> WA6E
>
> On 6/30/2020 12:15 PM, Orion, AI6JB wrote:
> > Yes Greg, it works for the Club, but not ARRL!
> >
> > ARRL wants either a Dupe Sheet or Cabrillo file.  I am afraid you will have to combine all your different logs into one for the ARRL submission.
> >
> > 73
> > Orion Endres, AI6JB
> > 1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383
> > (916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C
> >
> > What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.

Correct. You input the information and then export it to the Cabrillo file.

73

Mike N6MRP

________________________________

[...]

Part of the challenge, akin to doing one's taxes, is knowing what to put into the form, to create the Cabrillo file.  This is not intuitive when you get into the details.  For example, under "mode".  The example, unfortunately, shows "cw".  That's pretty universal what we call Morse code.  But what about the voice contacts?  My paper log shows SSB, but the Cabrillo format wants "PH" for phone.  Worse, the other modes.  What do you put down for FT8?  Apparently it's "DG" for Digital, different than "Digi" which is used for some other parts of the file.  But wait!  More confusion!  What for the Band?  Cabrillo wants the frequency for HF, but the example shows "20", for 20 meters.  Apparently the website then converts the "20" to "14000" for the file.  Ok, so what do you put in for 2 meters?  Cabrillo wants "144"; not sure what the on-line form wants, or what to put in for 70cm.  The form does not like "70cm" or "0.7"  I ended up editing the resulting file to put in "432", which is the Cabrillo designation for 70cm band, even though the actual frequency was 435.  It was the satellite contact, and there's absolutely no guidance on how to enter the satellite contact into the Cabrillo format.  The only suggestion I saw was that for cross-mode contacts, use the transmitter's mode.  The contact was not cross mode (it was cross band phone), but following the theme, I logged it by the uplink band instead of the downlink.

Greg  KO6TH

Michael - N6MRP wrote:

[...]

Agree. I was also unsure on what to input. A help box by the fields
would be useful.

Mike N6MRP

Michael - N6MRP wrote:

[...]

Phil - KM6NFS

I started logging in pyQSO because it exports to Cabrillo, but I couldn't find any place to put certain fields like the station class. If someone could post an example of a field day Cabrillo file, maybe I could write a script that would convert the XLSX spreadsheet that Orion posted here into Cabrillo.

Phillip KM6NFS

Michael - N6MRP

Here is my Cabrillo file generated by the ARRL site.

73

Mike N6MRP

On Wed, Jul 1, 2020 at 3:48 PM Phil via groups.io
<wp913=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:

I started logging in pyQSO because it exports to Cabrillo, but I couldn't find any place to put certain fields like the station class. If someone could post an example of a field day Cabrillo file, maybe I could write a script that would convert the XLSX spreadsheet that Orion posted here into Cabrillo.

Phillip KM6NFS

Dennis - WU6X

See Cabillo format attached from my log. I noticed when I exported it, there was a note that ARRL doesn't require a Cabrillo formatted log; a Summary File is preferred, and a Dupe Sheet over a Cabrillo. Interesting ... I haven't seen that before.

Dennis, WU6X

Output from N3FJP FD software