Topics

NEW! Direwatch - Raspberry Pi display driver for Direwolf / packet radio

Craig - KM6LYW

Published today for you Python/Pi/Packet hackers:

This will tail a direwolf/packet log file and display callsigns on adafruit st7789 tft displays.

Tested with the Adafruit TFT display units (240x240, and 240x135).

cool,
-craig
KM6LYW

Phil - KM6NFS

This is really slick, Craig.

What's the board in between the display and the PiZero?

Phil KM6NFS

Craig - KM6LYW

The middle board is an "FE-Pi Audio Z V2".  If you search for that, you'll find the manufacturer went out of business.

However, Budd https://www.wb7fhc.com/ managed to save the design files and makes limited runs.  contact
him directly  https://www.wb7fhc.com/about-the-fe-pi.html .   i bought a few, i think they're about 17 bucks shipped.

I've searched for an equivalent audio board and haven't found one.  (pizero form factor, line in, line out).  Let
 me know if you see anything.

I'm going to build another one from scratch and post a video.

cool,
-craig
KM6LYW

On 2/22/21 9:19 PM, wp913 via [] wrote:

Phil KM6NFS

Greg D

Hi Craig,

Interesting.  So, besides the form-factor, what is the difference between this board and one of the ubiquitous USB audio dongles, particularly for someone with the full-sized Raspberry Pi.

Greg  KO6TH

Craig - KM6LYW wrote:

The middle board is an "FE-Pi Audio Z V2".  If you search for that, you'll find the manufacturer went out of business.

However, Budd https://www.wb7fhc.com/ managed to save the design files and makes limited runs.  contact
him directly  https://www.wb7fhc.com/about-the-fe-pi.html .   i bought a few, i think they're about 17 bucks shipped.

I've searched for an equivalent audio board and haven't found one.  (pizero form factor, line in, line out).  Let
 me know if you see anything.

I'm going to build another one from scratch and post a video.

cool,
-craig
KM6LYW

On 2/22/21 9:19 PM, wp913 via [] wrote:

Phil KM6NFS

Craig - KM6LYW

One, the cool form factor, form before function, cleaner installation.

Two, better audio in a lot of cases

Three, more importantly, the USB audio drivers, for some reason, can't send short sounds.  The
TNC hangs, holding the channel open, waiting for USB drivers to complete an action.  milliseconds count.

On 2/23/21 9:40 AM, Greg D wrote:
Hi Craig,

Interesting.  So, besides the form-factor, what is the difference between this board and one of the ubiquitous USB audio dongles, particularly for someone with the full-sized Raspberry Pi.

Greg  KO6TH

Greg D

Oh, wow.  "One" I assumed; "Two" is nice to know.  But #3?

This may be a long shot, but did you know that there are two different USB stacks that one can use?  I ran into this when trying to run FT-8 on a Pi-3B, and kept having audio channel lock-ups.  The answer was to use the other stack.  The tip came from some work that was done by the Direwolf team.  Apparently using the second stack is default on the Pi-4; it is present but not used on the earlier models.

Add the following to the /boot/config.txt file:
# Fix for ALSA underflow with USB sound
dtoverlay=dwc2
Keep up the good work! 

Greg  KO6TH

Craig wrote:

One, the cool form factor, form before function, cleaner installation.

Two, better audio in a lot of cases

Three, more importantly, the USB audio drivers, for some reason, can't send short sounds.  The
TNC hangs, holding the channel open, waiting for USB drivers to complete an action.  milliseconds count.

On 2/23/21 9:40 AM, Greg D wrote:
Hi Craig,

Greg  KO6TH

Jon

Very cool. 

What one can do with oLED/LCD displays these days is amazing!