Topics

Low cost HF Rig you can build #howto

Jon

As many of us in the hobby know Ham radio can be expensive or relatively cheap (UV-5R for UHF/VHF). If cost is keeping you from HF or if you enjoy building stuff then the uBitx (https://www.hfsignals.com/index.php/ubitx-v6/) might be of interest to you. I just assembled an earlier version of the uBitx (acquired from the recent BayCon conference prizes/raffles) and was surprised it worked as well as it does! More testing required but so far, this was one of kits that went together in a few hours and powered up -- no smoke! LOL Might need to get the latest version with full color LCD...

What can one do with such low power? Well, I have been playing with the December 2020 QST TunaTinS circuit by Bob Fontana (AK3Y) that only puts out 0.5 - 1.0 watts and am making good CW contacts at < 1 watt so the uBitx with 5-10 watts is going be like...full legal limit on a hex beam at 100 ft -- just kidding but you get the idea. For a low cost receiver I am using an old RTL-SDR dongle. Not a FlexRadio but equally fun.

I've only tested uBitx on CW and will give SSB a try once I wire up the microphone :)

Jon KI6RT

Phil - KM6NFS

Edited

Hi Jon

Thank you so much for mentioning the TunaTinS! I hadn't seen the December QST because I joined ARRL in January. I had stumbled across Ed Hare's TunaTin2 in the May 1976 issue of QST when I was a youth. I made a photocopy of it and had done nothing with it for decades. Last year, I ordered the parts, but haven't had time to complete it. When thinking about the crystal oscillator, I figured it would be more fun to use an Si5351 than a crystal. This is what I've got mocked up so far.

Imagine my surprise when I saw that they're doing something very similar in the TunaTinS article in the December 2020 QST. I'm looking forward to reading the article and seeing how they did it. 

Phil KM6NFS

Jon

Hi Phil,

That's great! I did a protoboard version to verify the design. About the same time Bob Mix KF6ABC and Phil Sittner KD6RM (of the River City ARC) started laying out a PCB.

I have successfully made several CW contacts and am having fun with QRP. 

I have reached out to Bob & Phil to see if they have any extra PCB blanks or even full kits. Let me know if you're interested or check out the DIYRadio groups.io (https://groups.io/g/DIYRadio/topics)

Jon KI6RT

Phil - KM6NFS

Hi Jon,

If it's possible to get a board or the kit from DIYRadio, I'd like one. Thanks for looking into it. I subscribed to the DIYRadio group and it looks like they're doing some fun stuff.

73 Phil

Jon

Phil KM6NFS

Shoot me an email at jon@... if interested in a board.

Jon KI6RT