Topics

JS8Call w/Rasberry Pi

Greg D

Sounds like fun, Dennis.  But, I can't seem to find a download that will run on my PC (OpenSuSE Linux).  Is there another application that's compatible with JS8Call, before I try to compile it from source?  I have WSJTX v2.0, for example, but it doesn't seem to do JS8Call.

Greg  KO6TH

Dennis - WU6X wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Would you be interested in learning more about JS8Call? (Tentatively planning a short ZOOM after a Thursday-night net)

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. I can operate on 80m band
4. I can only operate on other than 80m band

Vote Now

Ooh, hang on... Seems like there's a version for the Raspberry Pi.  This might just work.

Greg  KO6TH

Dennis - WU6X wrote:

A new poll has been created:

Would you be interested in learning more about JS8Call? (Tentatively planning a short ZOOM after a Thursday-night net)

1. Yes
2. Maybe
3. I can operate on 80m band
4. I can only operate on other than 80m band

Vote Now

I see 4 different versions for Linux ... look here:

http://files.js8call.com/latest.html

Ken Crouse

Hi - Relative to JS8Call, one option involving Raspberry Pi is to use Jason KM4ACK's Build-a-Pi (BAP) project which includes JSCall (along with a couple of dozen other ham-related programs).

Once BAP is installed, its a simple point and click process to open JS8Call (click the Raspberry Pi icon, select Hamradio then click JS8Call). Here's an Overview and Install video of JS8Call using the Pi: ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stebmHCXTNU ).

The current BAP project is Pi4 compatible (not sure about previous editions) but the basic steps for getting started from scratch would be:

(i) Obtain a Raspberry Pi 4. My preferred source is CanaKit ( https://www.canakit.com/raspberry-pi/pi-4-kits ). Excellent service and my Pi's have arrived via FedEx in 2-days. I've never had a single issue with any of their products.

(ii) Install the Raspberry Pi operating system (formerly Raspbian) available at: ( https://www.raspberrypi.org/downloads/ ). An imager for Windows, Mac and Ubuntu are options as well as running the command: sudo apt install rpi-imager in a terminal window. If you need help with the OS installation, check out:  (  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpJCAafw2qE&t=1128s   ). This was produced by Crosstalk Solutions and is how I started. The video uses a CanKit Pi. I knew absolutely nothing about Linux when I ordered my first Pi and using this video I was operational within just a few minutes.

(iii) If imaging to a microSDHC card, I've had very good using SanDisk ImageMate Pro 32G cards (look for the U with the #3 in the upper corner of the package / available at WalMart for less than $15 / these are at least twice as fast as the standard microSD cards when processing the KM4ACK BAP project). I also prefer these cards over those that come with some of the kits that contain NOOBS.

(iv) Once the Raspberry Pi OS is installed, go to Preferences > Raspberry Pi Configuration, click Interfaces and then Enable SSH and VNC,  This makes life easy and you can then run the Pi from a desktop / laptop (I'm playing with the Pi installed out in the shack this afternoon from the comfort of my air-conditioned desk in the house). This step is included in the Crosstalk Solutions video.

(v) Next step is to install Build-A-Pi. To do so, open the terminal window and run the single line command of:
git clone https://github.com/km4ack/pi-build.git $HOME/pi-build && bash $HOME/pi-build/build-a-pi
It's really that simple. Cut and paste the above command into the pi@raspberrypi:~ $  command prompt and click enter. One single step.

(vi) Once, you've clicked Enter executing the above command, there will be a few prompts (enter Call Sign, location, etc.) and when you finish selecting which programs are being installed (easiest to just select all), the installation process takes a couple of hours. I ran it yesterday and it took about 95 minutes using the card specified above. The more generic cards can take up to 4 hours. It will take awhile so run it in the background while you listen to tomorrow's Coffee Break Net!

Jason KM4ACK has a few videos relating to JS8Call for the Pi that can be found at: ( https://www.youtube.com/c/KM4ACK/search?query=js8call ) or just go to YouTube > KM4ACK and use the search term JS8Call.

Please feel free to reach out to me with any questions about the above process. I've been using the Build-A-Pi script mostly for Pat Mail ARDOP but can certainly help with initial installation / set-up.   As someone who has no Linux background, I found this to be the best way for me to get involved with Pi.

73, Ken K6KEC
(916) 220-0085
k6kec@...