Topics

Jamboree On the Air (JOTA) 2019 - October 19th

Orion, AI6JB

Hey Everyone,

Mark you calendars for Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) on October 19th, 2019!

JOTA is THE biggest amateur radio operating event of the year.  Last year over 1.6 MILLION scouts participated in 152 countries.  Truly an event you are going to want to be a part of!

Our Club hosts a JOTA site each year.  Last year we had the good fortune to be at Beale Air Force Base as a part of Scout Expo.

This year, I need your help!  I am looking for suggestions on where to setup up our station, W6BSA.  The IDEAL site should have the following features:
  • Easy drive from the Sacramento Metropolitan area (biggest draw will be here, but scouts from areas north may come too)
  • Open area free of RFI and power lines to erect antenna masts
  • Trees to hang antennas
  • Access to one or more local repeaters
  • Ample parking and up close to unload and load equipment
  • Does not conflict soccer or baseball games
If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.  I have left a message with Penyrn Park.

Thank you all!

Orion -

Count me in to participate again this year.

I can't think of any mountain tops with the accessibility and parking we would need.

So, probably a public park...?    And if we're going to do that, maybe a park in Auburn, for the club's convenience?

I think Auburn Rec Park, near Sacramento Street and Racetrack, might have a nice combination of trees, shade, picnic tables and parking.  I think it's pretty clear of power lines too, but that should be verified. And not a bad spot for VHF repeaters in the area.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
[...]

And it looks like the Mini-Make Fair in Rocklin is the Saturday before JOTA, so that may be an excellent opportunity to raise awareness among of JOTA among young folk, not just the Scouts.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM Jef - N5JEF via Groups.Io <jef=jefallbright.net@groups.io> wrote:
Orion -

Count me in to participate again this year.

I can't think of any mountain tops with the accessibility and parking we would need.

So, probably a public park...?    And if we're going to do that, maybe a park in Auburn, for the club's convenience?

I think Auburn Rec Park, near Sacramento Street and Racetrack, might have a nice combination of trees, shade, picnic tables and parking.  I think it's pretty clear of power lines too, but that should be verified. And not a bad spot for VHF repeaters in the area.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Mark you calendars for Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) on October 19th, 2019!

Michael - KK6GLP

Orion,

Count me in.

Perhaps consider the same spot as the Mini Maker Faire? I have yet to visit the site myself, but Dr. Milazzo provides photos that give an idea of the site:

73

Mike KK6GLP

[...]

Additional info, the Mini Maker Faire should be adjacent to the Sierra College Campus Center. We were at the southwest corner in past years. Have yet to get word on where we will be this year, but it is likely the same spot.

Mike KK6GLP

image.png

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 2:58 PM Michael - KK6GLP via Groups.Io <mrprry2=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sierra College is a huge site.  How much space do we need?

Besides Recreation Park in Auburn, there's also Regional Park out here near me (off Dry Creek Rd.)  Two large picnic areas that they rent out, lots of trees, if we want something on the small side.

There's also the main part of the park, over by the Gym.  Not sure how one would rent that, but my wife's Quilt Guild holds their event over there.  They've also had large events - concerts, even a Ren Faire, etc. out there.

Just a thought.

Greg  KO6TH

Michael - KK6GLP wrote:

[...]

Edited

It will likely be far easier to rent a park site than have Sierra College grant permission. Plus, I think Sierra College charges for parking.

Mike KK6GLP

Michael - KK6GLP wrote:
[...]

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

I'd love to help out, too.  A park in Auburn would be extremely convenient for me, but i'm happy to help out regardless of the destination.  The area that Greg highlighted at Regional Park is very nice, though Recreation Park is closer to Hwy 80.

--Nathan K6NDC

Orion, AI6JB

Hi Everyone,

I was thinking Recreation Park in Auburn would be our JOTA site for this year, until I received a phone call this morning from Troop 22 in Antelope.  They host a Scouting event each year called The Eternal Flame at Gibson Ranch Park.  They retire American Flags non-stop starting Friday evening until Sunday Morning on the same weekend as JOTA.  In addition to flag retirements, the will many other scouting activities on Saturday, e.g. merit badges, tomahawk throwing, etc ...  They were hoping to offer Amateur Radio.  Currently, they have about 100 scouts registered to attend and are expecting 200 in the end.  Scouts typically come with friends and family, so the total attendance will be north of 200.

I will be meeting the Scout Leader tomorrow afternoon to walk the site.  If it proves to be viable, would you all be willing to drive to Gibson Ranch in Elverta?

Works for me.

Greg  KO6TH

Orion, AI6JB wrote:

[...]

Yes, I can go to Elverta.

Mike KK6GLP

On Mon, Oct 7, 2019 at 12:49 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
[...]

I can drive down from Auburn for this.
:-)
--Nathan K6NDC

Orion, AI6JB

Good Morning Everyone,

I meet with Troop 22's Scoutmaster, Greg Kramer, at Gibson Ranch Park yesterday afternoon.  What a great site!!  See the pictures in the Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) sub-group.  We have plenty of green grass to spread out with open areas to erect antenna masts and even a few trees to hang an antenna or two.

Greg has a guy who will setup solar power for us to use and they will provide lunch!!

They now have over 200 scouts registered to attend!!  I was so excited that I told him to advertise we will be there.  We agreed SFARC would have a JOTA station running from about 9:00 to 15:00.  We can start setup on Friday at 16:00, maybe a little earlier (he will let me know).

Our JOTA station will be a part of a larger BSA Scouts event called The Eternal Flame.  They will be retiring American Flags non-stop starting at 20:00 on Friday, 10/18/19, night until 10:00 Sunday, 10/20/19.  He said you are all welcome to come watch at anytime.  Gibson Ranch Park is located in Elverta, CA.  If you point your GPS to 8554 Gibson Ranch Park Rd, Elverta, CA 95626, it will get you very close to our position.

If you are interested in coming on out or working a station, please let me know or subscribe to the JOTA Sub-Group.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.