Topics

Jamboree On the Air (JOTA) 2019 - October 19th

Orion, AI6JB

Hey Everyone,

Mark you calendars for Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) on October 19th, 2019!

JOTA is THE biggest amateur radio operating event of the year.  Last year over 1.6 MILLION scouts participated in 152 countries.  Truly an event you are going to want to be a part of!

Our Club hosts a JOTA site each year.  Last year we had the good fortune to be at Beale Air Force Base as a part of Scout Expo.

This year, I need your help!  I am looking for suggestions on where to setup up our station, W6BSA.  The IDEAL site should have the following features:
  • Easy drive from the Sacramento Metropolitan area (biggest draw will be here, but scouts from areas north may come too)
  • Open area free of RFI and power lines to erect antenna masts
  • Trees to hang antennas
  • Access to one or more local repeaters
  • Ample parking and up close to unload and load equipment
  • Does not conflict soccer or baseball games
If you have any suggestions, I would love to hear them.  I have left a message with Penyrn Park.

Thank you all!

Orion -

Count me in to participate again this year.

I can't think of any mountain tops with the accessibility and parking we would need.

So, probably a public park...?    And if we're going to do that, maybe a park in Auburn, for the club's convenience?

I think Auburn Rec Park, near Sacramento Street and Racetrack, might have a nice combination of trees, shade, picnic tables and parking.  I think it's pretty clear of power lines too, but that should be verified. And not a bad spot for VHF repeaters in the area.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
[...]

And it looks like the Mini-Make Fair in Rocklin is the Saturday before JOTA, so that may be an excellent opportunity to raise awareness among of JOTA among young folk, not just the Scouts.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:37 PM Jef - N5JEF via Groups.Io <jef=jefallbright.net@groups.io> wrote:
Orion -

Count me in to participate again this year.

I can't think of any mountain tops with the accessibility and parking we would need.

So, probably a public park...?    And if we're going to do that, maybe a park in Auburn, for the club's convenience?

I think Auburn Rec Park, near Sacramento Street and Racetrack, might have a nice combination of trees, shade, picnic tables and parking.  I think it's pretty clear of power lines too, but that should be verified. And not a bad spot for VHF repeaters in the area.

- Jef

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 1:09 PM Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...> wrote:
Hey Everyone,

Mark you calendars for Jamboree On The Air (JOTA) on October 19th, 2019!

Michael - KK6GLP

Orion,

Count me in.

Perhaps consider the same spot as the Mini Maker Faire? I have yet to visit the site myself, but Dr. Milazzo provides photos that give an idea of the site:

73

Mike KK6GLP

[...]

Additional info, the Mini Maker Faire should be adjacent to the Sierra College Campus Center. We were at the southwest corner in past years. Have yet to get word on where we will be this year, but it is likely the same spot.

Mike KK6GLP

image.png

On Tue, Sep 3, 2019 at 2:58 PM Michael - KK6GLP via Groups.Io <mrprry2=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
[...]

Sierra College is a huge site.  How much space do we need?

Besides Recreation Park in Auburn, there's also Regional Park out here near me (off Dry Creek Rd.)  Two large picnic areas that they rent out, lots of trees, if we want something on the small side.

There's also the main part of the park, over by the Gym.  Not sure how one would rent that, but my wife's Quilt Guild holds their event over there.  They've also had large events - concerts, even a Ren Faire, etc. out there.

Just a thought.

Greg  KO6TH

Michael - KK6GLP wrote:

[...]

It will likely be far easier to rent a park site than have Sierra College grant permission. Plus, I think Sierra College charges for parking.

Mike KK6GLP

Michael - KK6GLP wrote:
[...]

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

I'd love to help out, too.  A park in Auburn would be extremely convenient for me, but i'm happy to help out regardless of the destination.  The area that Greg highlighted at Regional Park is very nice, though Recreation Park is closer to Hwy 80.

--Nathan K6NDC