Topics

IRS tax exempt status

Aaron K6ABJ

Here is an example of the letter I am requesting from the SFARC. Note, in the upper right hand corner of the letter regarding the North Hills Radio Club, that it is exempt under Section 501(c)(7). Based on the verbiage of the SFARC’s bylaws, I suspect the SFARC is also exempt under section 501(c)(7).

Aaron

KB6SQT - Sam

An organization such as our club does not have to be a 503c or 501c7 to have a not for profit IRS Not For Profit Status. Many Rotary Clubs (as an example) do not incorporate to achieve that avenue of status. It is expensive to maintain such a status despite non profit corporate status being available to acquire some form of 503 or 501 status.
The current club status is accomplished by a mere filing designation with the IRS.
It is ok as is.

Sam

Sam Frazier
Attorney

Offices:
Auburn, California
La Jolla, California
858-456-5822 cell
Email: Frazierlaw@...
Since 1978

On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:54 PM, Aaron K6ABJ <aaron@...> wrote:

Here is an example of the letter I am requesting from the SFARC. Note, in the upper right hand corner of the letter regarding the North Hills Radio Club, that it is exempt under Section 501(c)(7). Based on the verbiage of the SFARC’s bylaws, I suspect the SFARC is also exempt under section 501(c)(7).

Aaron

<501c7 Charter - IRS.PDF>

Aaron K6ABJ

What specific costs are there to maintaining a 501 status? As an accountant for several 501 organizations who have successfully maintained their status, I am unaware of any significant costs, unless of course you get attorneys involved.

As a donor to charitable organizations it is very important to me that the organizations I donate to are recognized as “Charitable” 501(c)(3) organizations. Without such IRS recognition, I cannot deduct my donations on my tax return.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice like you can, but to my knowledge only 501(c)(3) organizations can solicit tax deductible donations. In either event, the tax deductibility of my donations is important to me, and it affects how much I give to an organization. I have encountered organizations in the past who hold themselves out as being recognized by the IRS as being a 501(c)(3), when in fact they weren’t, and I am not going down that road again. Such organizations create IRS tax liabilities for me, so they are not included in my regular giving or in my will. I have also been associated with organizations which have elected to convert from a 501c7 to a 501c3 status (at significant cost) to obtain donations that far exceeded the costs of conversion.

Your dismissive and egocentric attitude is unappreciated.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 9:06 PM, "Frazierlaw@..." <Frazierlaw@...> wrote:

Aaron,

Please use the forum for the open exchange of information.

I did not view Sam's post as "dismissive and egocentric" towards you as he was stating a professional opinion just as you are. It is fine to have opposing opinions expressed by two professionals. Please assist the club in determining the best course.

(916) 770-7751 cell

What specific costs are there to maintaining a 501 status? As an accountant for several 501 organizations who have successfully maintained their status, I am unaware of any significant costs, unless of course you get attorneys involved.

As a donor to charitable organizations it is very important to me that the organizations I donate to are recognized as “Charitable” 501(c)(3) organizations. Without such IRS recognition, I cannot deduct my donations on my tax return.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice like you can, but to my knowledge only 501(c)(3) organizations can solicit tax deductible donations. In either event, the tax deductibility of my donations is important to me, and it affects how much I give to an organization. I have encountered organizations in the past who hold themselves out as being recognized by the IRS as being a 501(c)(3), when in fact they weren’t, and I am not going down that road again. Such organizations create IRS tax liabilities for me, so they are not included in my regular giving or in my will. I have also been associated with organizations which have elected to convert from a 501c7 to a 501c3 status (at significant cost) to obtain donations that far exceeded the costs of conversion.

Your dismissive and egocentric attitude is unappreciated.

Aaron

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 9:06 PM, "Frazierlaw@..." <Frazierlaw@...> wrote:

Aaron K6ABJ

Sam,

I apologize for my negativity. My response perhaps speaks more about my pre-conceived attitude than yours. I interpreted your closing sentence of “It is ok as is.” as being dismissive. I also interpreted your abundant references to your legal offices as being egocentric and as tools to overpower me and my voice.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Aaron,

Please use the forum for the open exchange of information.

I did not view Sam's post as "dismissive and egocentric" towards you as he was stating a professional opinion just as you are. It is fine to have opposing opinions expressed by two professionals. Please assist the club in determining the best course.

(916) 770-7751 cell

What specific costs are there to maintaining a 501 status? As an accountant for several 501 organizations who have successfully maintained their status, I am unaware of any significant costs, unless of course you get attorneys involved.

As a donor to charitable organizations it is very important to me that the organizations I donate to are recognized as “Charitable” 501(c)(3) organizations. Without such IRS recognition, I cannot deduct my donations on my tax return.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice like you can, but to my knowledge only 501(c)(3) organizations can solicit tax deductible donations. In either event, the tax deductibility of my donations is important to me, and it affects how much I give to an organization. I have encountered organizations in the past who hold themselves out as being recognized by the IRS as being a 501(c)(3), when in fact they weren’t, and I am not going down that road again. Such organizations create IRS tax liabilities for me, so they are not included in my regular giving or in my will. I have also been associated with organizations which have elected to convert from a 501c7 to a 501c3 status (at significant cost) to obtain donations that far exceeded the costs of conversion.

Your dismissive and egocentric attitude is unappreciated.

Aaron

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 9:06 PM, "Frazierlaw@..." <Frazierlaw@...> wrote:

KB6SQT - Sam

73s!

Sam

Sam Frazier
Attorney

Offices:
Auburn, California
La Jolla, California
858-456-5822 cell
Email: Frazierlaw@...
Since 1978

On Sep 14, 2020, at 11:56 PM, Aaron K6ABJ <aaron@...> wrote:

Sam,

I apologize for my negativity. My response perhaps speaks more about my pre-conceived attitude than yours. I interpreted your closing sentence of “It is ok as is.” as being dismissive. I also interpreted your abundant references to your legal offices as being egocentric and as tools to overpower me and my voice.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Aaron,

Please use the forum for the open exchange of information.

I did not view Sam's post as "dismissive and egocentric" towards you as he was stating a professional opinion just as you are. It is fine to have opposing opinions expressed by two professionals. Please assist the club in determining the best course.

(916) 770-7751 cell

What specific costs are there to maintaining a 501 status? As an accountant for several 501 organizations who have successfully maintained their status, I am unaware of any significant costs, unless of course you get attorneys involved.

As a donor to charitable organizations it is very important to me that the organizations I donate to are recognized as “Charitable” 501(c)(3) organizations. Without such IRS recognition, I cannot deduct my donations on my tax return.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice like you can, but to my knowledge only 501(c)(3) organizations can solicit tax deductible donations. In either event, the tax deductibility of my donations is important to me, and it affects how much I give to an organization. I have encountered organizations in the past who hold themselves out as being recognized by the IRS as being a 501(c)(3), when in fact they weren’t, and I am not going down that road again. Such organizations create IRS tax liabilities for me, so they are not included in my regular giving or in my will. I have also been associated with organizations which have elected to convert from a 501c7 to a 501c3 status (at significant cost) to obtain donations that far exceeded the costs of conversion.

Your dismissive and egocentric attitude is unappreciated.

Aaron

> On Sep 14, 2020, at 9:06 PM, "Frazierlaw@..." <Frazierlaw@...> wrote:

From the archives ... this may answer a few questions.

Dennis, WU6X