HF Renaissance, ye, really!

Jim - N6MED

No, not in the amateur radio services, but the US military. For general interest, thought some might be interested in this excellent presentation by Prof. Col. Stephen Hamilton KJ5HY, Chief of Staff and Technical Director of the Army Cyber Institute on contemporary use of HF communications by the US Army. It apparently interests the Marine Corps as I've come across several Marine videos re.

Albeit our  club HF interests appear to focus more on DX and contesting, Col. Hamilton focuses a lot on NVIS and its application in tactical communications. Hopefully this focus might be particularly interesting to the ARES folks as NVIS can be especially useful given the lumpy ground we have in our local counties that can inhibit effective VHF paths, repeated or not.

Enjoy!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QIeG4LiFMg&t=38s

Chris - KN6CCC

Thanks for sharing that video. As someone who was a Marine Corps radio operator in the 1980's, I really like to see this. I have thought for years our reliance on satellites could quickly become our greatest weakness.

73
Chris
KN6CCC

Jef - N5JEF

On this subject, I am pleased to report that Placer County Emergency Operations Center was notified just last week that we have been awarded a grant from Cal OES for an HF base system and an HF portable system for emergency preparedness.

One more project I'll be dealing with this year...  :-)

- Jef  N5JEF