Event: Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Test - 05/14/2022 #cal-reminder

Group Notification <noreply@...>

Reminder: Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Test

When:
05/14/2022
6:00am to 3:00pm
(UTC-07:00) America/Los Angeles

Where:
HF Bands

View Event

The 2022 running of the Armed Forces Day (AFD) Cross-Band exercise will be held on May 14, 1300 – 2200 UTC. Military stations in various locations will transmit on selected military frequencies and announce a specific ham band frequency they are monitoring.

A detailed list of modes and frequencies for military / government stations taking part in the Armed Forces Day Cross-Band Test and information is available at:

https://www.dodmars.org/mars-comex-information-website/armed-forces-day

A QSL card is available by filling out a form (of course) at: https://www.usarmymars.org/armed-forces-day-qsl-card-request

Dennis - WU6X

I'm not sure if anyone was able to work any of the 24 stations that were on the air, but try as I might, I only found 2 and worked them both. The USS Iowa in Los Angeles and the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD later in the day.

Otherwise, I couldn't hear anyone else on the air ... I was beginning to think I had the wrong day! Did anyone else try?
Dennis - WU6X

Earl - K6GPB

Hi Dennis,

I was only able to work the same two that you did.  Worked them on CW.  Was able to go SSB, but like you, did not hear anyone on the various frequencies.

Earl, K6GPB

On 5/17/2022 09:23, Dennis - WU6X wrote:
I'm not sure if anyone was able to work any of the 24 stations that were on the air, but try as I might, I only found 2 and worked them both. The USS Iowa in Los Angeles and the Naval Academy in Annapolis, MD later in the day.

Otherwise, I couldn't hear anyone else on the air ... I was beginning to think I had the wrong day! Did anyone else try?
Dennis - WU6X

Rob - KM6YKX

I worked AAZ / Ft Huachuca, the Arizona station on 20M but that was it. Comparing notes with some others it seems they were very low power and everyone seemed to have difficulty hearing them.

I had to listen for quite a while to figure out where they were listening on the amateur bands since they would only say it once and at the low power levels it was very hard to hear.

The good news is I learned how to use my radio in split mode!

73,
Rob KM6YKX