Topics

eFactor Halo Stacked

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Hello Carl,

Here is a photo of the stacked and phased eFactor halos. My question was regarding either mounting the the phased antennas on the same side of the mast, rotated 90 degrees or 180 degrees. I understand the photo shows them mounted in the same plane and unable to find and discussions on the forums.

Best Regards!
Brian Gohl

Gary - KC3PO

Brian,

I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation without context... but you may (or may not) recall that I have the stacked/phased eFactor halos.

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're asking - and I'd have to say that they need to be on the same side of the mast or it will screw up the phase relationship as well as the pattern.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding or if you need anything else.

- Gary  KC3PO

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Thank you Gary. I just received the eFactor dual band antennas with phasing harness today.

I see the stacked / phased halos are mounted that way in the efactor photos, but no explanation of the interaction or beam shaping.

Background: During the Elmer Net tonight, I had mentioned that phased vertical dipoles could be rotated on the mast to shape the AZ pattern and was curious if the same applied to phased halo type antennas.

(916) 770-7751 cell

I'm jumping into the middle of this conversation without context... but you may (or may not) recall that I have the stacked/phased eFactor halos.

I'm pretty sure I understand what you're asking - and I'd have to say that they need to be on the same side of the mast or it will screw up the phase relationship as well as the pattern.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding or if you need anything else.

- Gary  KC3PO

Gary - KC3PO

Ah, OK.

Gut feel (and I've got a pretty good gut) I don't think rotating dipoles and rotating halos would be anywhere near equivalent. With standard horizontal dipoles, you can rotate them around the vertical axis without tilting the vertical axis or changing the distance between feed points (through space, not through the feed lines, obviously).

When you spin a halo around to the other side of the mast, you'll tilt the vertical axis and increase the distance (through space). You can obviously move one of the halos vertically on the mast to retune, especially if you're not concerned with keeping both bands in tune.

It'd be interesting to model, I suppose. IDK. Depends what you're trying to accomplish. I think the halo itself already accomplishes more or less what you're trying to do with crossed dipoles...?

You are correct in the lack of technical info from eFactor. I think the guy currently building/selling them is less technical than the guy who originally designed them (the original guy passed away, I believe).

Let me know if you do any modeling or experimenting along those lines.

Another thing we can try some day if we can figure out how to adapt the phasing harnesses is to stack four halos ;)

73, Gary  KC3PO

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Thanks Gary. Appreciate the input. I'm always interested in the theory of how things work. Will share any info I find.

(916) 770-7751 cell