Topics

Complete PC system - free to a good home

Hi folks,

An estate item, of sorts. Complete Small Form Factor PC system. Free
to a good home (but a donation to the club treasury would be gladly
accepted).

It would make for a good HF digital (fldigi, et al), packet radio, etc.
system, or for whatever one does with a PC.

Dell Optiplex SX280 - 2.8 GHz Pentium 4 CPU, 4 GB RAM, 80 Gig Hard disk,
CD drive (not DVD, sorry)
Ethernet and WiFi network interfaces
Real Serial and Parallel ports (handy for software that doesn't work
with USB devices)
USB Keyboard, Mouse
Powered stereo speakers
17" LCD Monitor
Power bricks, and wires
OpenSuSE Tumbleweed 32 bit Linux, XFCE Desktop software loaded fresh.
Also loaded some ham radio software, ready to go.

Memory and disk have been scanned for errors, and are clean and in good
shape.

Pickup at the next club meeting, or by arrangement.

Greg KO6TH

Clyde Campbell

Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion system
Clyde AB4CC

Greg D

Hi Clyde,

Yes it is, but where would it go? Not sure it's really ideal for
putting in an unconditioned space vault. The spinning fans and hard
drive are really intended to be indoors.

Greg KO6TH

Clyde Campbell wrote:

Greg is this unit still available? It would be useful for our fusion
system
Clyde AB4CC

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Guess the new residence must pass first pass a background check and site visit from the California State of Retired Personal Computer Wefare Services. LOL!!!

Actually, the PC initially would be installed elsewhere for a WIRES-X node during the test. Once the test is completed a computer may be installed in a vault.

(916) 770-7751 cell

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Well, the system certainly qualifies for Social Security, if not Medicare.  But it's in good shape for what it is.

What software would need to be running on it?  The system is not a candidate for Windows 10, and it's 32 bit only.  The Linux software that I have installed is up to date (currently supported distro) and runs fine, but if you need Windows compatibility, that could be an issue.

We'd need to replicate the system on another bit of hardware if we want to put it in the vault.

Greg  KO6TH

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Brian Gohl - AI6US

WIRES-X software requires Windows, so if Windows has been removed, probably not worth updating.

I have an older operating Win7 midtower desktop that we could use if we pair up with your monitor, keyboard, mouse. Would you donate these system parts for the project?

(916) 770-7751 cell

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Mmmm, I'd prefer not to part it out.  The PC box, minus the rest, is pretty much useless, but together they make a system usable for lots of things.  Plan is to bring it to the Ham Swap next year if there are no club takers.  Might even throw in a TNC if someone asks nicely.

The Windows software that came with it Windows 2000, and I have a Windows XP SP2 install disk that might work, but it would be totally unpatched and unsupported.  Do you have a way to install a 32 bit version of Windows 7?  We might try that first.  Failing that, a keyboard and mouse are really cheap (cheap enough that I don't bother keeping spares), and I believe Jim WA8MPA has a spare monitor that we could pair with your PC to make something useful.

Greg  KO6TH

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Brian Gohl - AI6US

Btw, run Win 10 on a 32 bit PC for my bench.

I'll get together with Jim and we will cobble together a PC for the Fusion test.

(916) 770-7751 cell

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Really?  I thought the new O/S was 64 bit only.  If you have an install disk, we could try it (after I make a backup of the current one).  The PC has 4 gig of RAM, which is the max.

But your PC will have the same issue with non climate controlled environments, too, no?

Greg  KO6TH

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Brian Gohl - AI6US

No install disk. Suppose I could burn one, but will be easier to move forward with a Fusion node on one of my Win 7 desktops without having to do an OS install. No more Win updates are available on my 32 bit due to the manufacturer no longer providing win 10 driver support for onboard hardware.

(916) 770-7751 cell

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

The vault has better temperature stability than my home... LOL

(916) 770-7751 cell

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Well, there is that...

But, agree that if we need Windows, and you've already got a system with that O/S running and patched as far as they went, then we should probably start there.

Greg  KO6TH

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Dennis - WU6X

I believe I have a small frame Win7 computer I’ve cleaned up that I will donate if that will help. Also a monitor and keyboard.

Dennis-WU6X

Clyde Campbell wrote:
> Greg is this unit still available?  It would be useful for our fusion
> system
> Clyde AB4CC

Clyde Campbell

Dennis, the PC you have will work great..will you be at the breakfast Saturday the 30th?
73
Clyde AB4CC