Topics

Baofeng UV82 v.s. UV-5x3

Dennis - WU6X

Okay, look ... I've seen this video and he ignores some basics (also, there are many other videos that show a particular test of a particular UV-5x3 to be acceptable):

1. B-Tech designed the UV-5x3 to feed the antennas it comes with, which are not 50 ohms. He needs to put the factory antenna on an SWR meter and measure the actual input impedance of the antenna, then use that measurement for a dummy load to "simulate" the radio under "actual working conditions"  ... he doesn't do that.
2. If you look at the screen shots of the Rigol, it appears he hasn't calibrated the fundamental frequency. He is making other errors in the operation of the test equipment, as well, and admits it! His math sucks!
3. The radio comes very close to passing, within 3db, even under his flawed testing. He also ignores the fact that he may have a bad radio.
4. You can't make a general assumption that ALL UV-5x3's are bad. How many of you have bought something that doesn't work, right out of the box?

In my observations, testing with N6UG's test equipment, my UV-5x3 looked fine on a spectrum analyzer (Birton: please correct me if I've misinterpreted our conclusions)

This guy needs to put the manufacturer's antenna on the radio, and a stub antenna on the test equipment to do a true "field test" of the radio. I will bet the harmonics will come into spec on the analyzer and are down far enough not to be a problem with other services. The other annoying thing about this video is, he whines about having to use 2 antennas to cover all three bands ... uh, the whole kit costs $45, including the drop-in charger ... what do you expect, Brian?

I'm not defending this radio, it IS a cheap Chinese handheld ... period! The receiver on mine sometimes hears spurious noise from other electronic devices in close proximity (hey, it's great for finding electronic noise sources). So, it does come "close to passing" FCC specifications on transmit and will likely not bother other radio services if used as intended. The UV-5x3 is an impressive radio and performs well for the money!

PS: When testing anything, I've always gone "simple first", then drilled down to more technical aspects, failing any remedy. While at HP as a senior technician, I found most of the "brainier techs" ignored the "keep it simple" rule, and spent hours trying to re-engineer an issue. I would come along, find a mis-loaded component, fix it ... done, breaking standard repair times. Next unit please?

Dennis, WU6X

Michael - N6MRP

The best thing about the Baofeng, for me, is that losing one does not ruin the day. I clip mine to the bicycle bag on the back of my mountain bike. I once went over a bump and the Baofeng flew off and was destroyed when it hit the ground. I simply ordered another one. But had my Kenwood TH-F6 been lost, I would have returned home very unhappy.

73

Mike KK6GLP

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 8:53 AM Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:
[...]

carl.wf6j@gmail.com

FYI: I am using the model GT-3TP it is an 8 watt version and a great improvement over the older BF.

73,
Carl, WF6J

On Nov 12, 2019, at 2:59 PM, Michael - KK6GLP <mrprry2@...> wrote:

The best thing about the Baofeng, for me, is that losing one does not ruin the day. I clip mine to the bicycle bag on the back of my mountain bike. I once went over a bump and the Baofeng flew off and was destroyed when it hit the ground. I simply ordered another one. But had my Kenwood TH-F6 been lost, I would have returned home very unhappy.

73

Mike KK6GLP

Brian Gohl - AI6US

I mentioned on Facebook last week, I will leave my truck open at the next meeting if any of you wish to leave your unwanted Baofeng ht radios in it.

Mike, I share your feeling about not feeling too bad destroying $35 hts while running around in the mountains. Simple to order a replacement on Amazon Prime for next day delivery... Have lost one when it flew off of the snowmobile and damaged another when I tumbled into a creek.

Was saddened to hear a club member talking down a new Ham's Baofeng ht today on the repeater. :(

(916) 770-7751

-------------------------

On Tue, 12 Nov 2019 15:18:21 -0800, carl.wf6j@... <carl.wf6j@...> wrote:

FYI: I am using the model GT-3TP it is an 8 watt version and a great improvement over the older BF.

73,
Carl, WF6J

On Nov 12, 2019, at 2:59 PM, Michael - KK6GLP <mrprry2@...> wrote:

The best thing about the Baofeng, for me, is that losing one does not ruin the day. I clip mine to the bicycle bag on the back of my mountain bike. I once went over a bump and the Baofeng flew off and was destroyed when it hit the ground. I simply ordered another one. But had my Kenwood TH-F6 been lost, I would have returned home very unhappy.

73

Mike KK6GLP

Alan Thompson

No, No, NO!

All Hams should discourage cheap equipment and work harder to make our hobby even more expensive. We need more non-Hams, not fewer!