Topics

Baofeng UV82

Jim - N6MED

Check this YouTube video on the spectral purity of a UV-82. The testor shows a careful, calibrated lab setup for his test:
https://tinyurl.com/vpmrzah

Jef - N5JEF

Thanks Jim for sharing this.

Besides the Baofeng putting out all that crap across the spectrum, I'm guessing people who use these don't realize that if their "5W" of power is distributed across several large peaks, then there's less than 1W in their intended peak.

- Jef  N5JEF

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 11:13 AM Jim - N6MED <n6medjim@...> wrote:
Check this YouTube video on the spectral purity of a UV-82. The testor shows a careful, calibrated lab setup for his test:
https://tinyurl.com/vpmrzah

Dennis - WU6X

Actually, if you want a very clean Baofeng, but the UV-5X3 tribander. It’s as clean as any Yaesu, Kenwood, or ICOM handhelds.

Dennis, WU6X

On Nov 11, 2019, at 11:13 AM, Jim - N6MED <n6medjim@...> wrote:

Check this YouTube video on the spectral purity of a UV-82. The testor shows a careful, calibrated lab setup for his test:
https://tinyurl.com/vpmrzah

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

That's good to know, Dennis!  The only radio I have that does 220 is my VX-6R, which only puts out 1.5 watts on that band.  I've considered picking up a UV-5X3.  It's good to know that it transmits a cleaner signal.  I was curious about the UV-82, since I do have one of those.  This video is for the UV-82X, which swaps 70cm for 220.  Unfortunately, he only tests it on 220, which doesn't give me any indication of how a typical UV-82 might behave on 2m/70cm.

I've heard reports that some of these radios are clean and some are terrible.  I suppose the only way to really know is to test the one you have, but I don't have any of this sort of test equipment.

Jef - N5JEF

Anyone who is interested in understanding the performance and legality of the cheap Baofeng products should probably consider this video showing careful testing of the newer UV-5X3.

Note also (but not mentioned here) that there are also the problems of inadequate receiver filtering and susceptibility to intermodulation and desense. Or that it has no provision for 12.5kHz vs 25kHz FM bandwidth, or that the squelch is not based on signal strength (since it can't see signal strength) so is instead faked by looking at the hiss in the audio...

Or, you can simply go with all the talk about how it gets into repeaters 50 miles away Fine Business and everybody says it sounds Great!

- Jef

And now, wait for it---the link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m68SsbcZT0s