Topics

Baofeng UV5R v. Yaesu FT-70D spectral purity

Jim - N6MED

From FB Radio Amateur Elmers, a very interesting spectral analysis between the two radios at 1W out
https://tinyurl.com/y6dzkpt6
-- Jim

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

That's very interesting, Jim!  Now I'm curious to try doing something similar with my HTs (I have two different models from Yaesu and two different models from Baofeng)

Jef - N5JEF

It's not clear what that was showing.  The in-band spurs _coming and going_ might have related to intermodulation effects in the environment rather than being a direct representation of the Baofeng's output.  His comment about moving back to minimize "feedback" also doesn't make sense.  To be valid, that test should have been done through cables using a sampling tee, and a proper 50-ohm load.

That said, I did test my own Baofeng UV-5R on a professional spectrum analyzer.  I didn't see that kind of close in-band weirdness, but I definitely saw crappy rejection of harmonics--just barely (and questionably) within the legal spec.  I also tested my Motorola APX 7000, Kenwood TH-F6A, and Kenwood TH-D74A, and they were all consistent with each other and much, much better than the Baofeng.

And that's just an example of the very poor _outbound_ filtering of the Baofeng, it's also true of its lack of _inbound_ filtering and selectivity.

I no longer have the Baofeng.

- Jef

On Fri, Nov 8, 2019 at 12:07 PM Nathan Chilton - K6NDC <k6ndc@...> wrote:
That's very interesting, Jim!  Now I'm curious to try doing something similar with my HTs (I have two different models from Yaesu and two different models from Baofeng)

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

I have a UV-5R, but I haven't used it much, mostly just as a receiver (also, the battery won't hold a charge, so there's either a problem with the battery or the charger and it's been very low on my priority list to look into that).  I also have the UV-82, which I hope is a little better in this regard, but I don't have the means to test it properly.