Subject:     [amsat-bb] Upcoming ARISS contact with Hudson Memorial School, Hudson, NH
Date:     Tue, 4 Dec 2018 12:10:18 -0500
From:     n4csitwo@...
To:     amsat-bb@..., ariss-press@...

An International Space Station school contact has been planned with participants at Hudson Memorial School, Hudson, NH on 07 Dec. The event is scheduled to begin at approximately 18:48 UTC. The duration of the contact is approximately 9 minutes and 30 seconds. The contact will be direct between NA1SS and N1FD. The contact should be audible over the U.S. state of New Hampshire and adjacent areas. Interested parties are invited to listen in on the 145.80 MHz downlink. The contact is expected to be conducted in English.

Hudson Memorial School is a student-focused community that understands and meets the social, emotional, and academic needs of all students. Through the provision of a safe and secure learning environment, Hudson Memorial is committed to delivering a challenging and comprehensive curriculum that is inclusive of all students in authentic learning opportunities that require the use of higher-order thinking skills. Our instructional strategies promote mastery of core competencies using technology, written communication, oral communication, comprehension of complex materials, and effective research. Hudson Memorial School currently serves over 800 students grades 6-8.  Students are broken into eight academic teams composed of teachers for literature, composition, mathematics, science, and social studies.  Students also have numerous Unified Arts offerings that now include 21st century courses like computer science and pre-engineering.   In the past year, Hudson Memorial has forged a relat ionship with the Nashua Area Radio Society that has opened up opportunities for our students that include a High-Altitude Balloon Launch and the offering of an Amateur Radio Licensing Course.

Participants will ask as many of the following questions as time allows:

1. How do astronauts train and prepare before going into space?

2. Do you have regular physical check-ups and or vaccinations to stay healthy
   in space?

3. To help us understand the scale of the ISS can you compare it to the size
   of something on Earth?

4. What does it feel like exiting the atmosphere?

5. Looking down from space what landmarks and countries do you wish you could
   visit?

6. With space being mostly blackness and stars, what is the most beautiful
   thing you have ever seen in space?

7. How long have you been a licensed Amateur Radio Operator and do you use
   your license for any other communications besides ARISS?

8. What is your daily routine?

9. Is sleep more comfortable in space than on Earth?

10. We learned there are 16 sunrises and sunsets in one day in space.  About
    how long does it take you to adjust to the time switch?

11. What is the best part about living on the ISS?

12. Do you ever regret your decision to leave Earth?

13. What is the most commonly occurring error on the ISS?

14. What will be the first signs of the ISS finally expiring and what
    procedures will take place at this point?

15. We have learned that 16 countries work together on the International
    Space Station, we would like to know how you communicate with people from
    other countries?

16. How does the space station keep clean air for you to breath?

17. Do products or materials break down equally, faster, or slower than they
    would on earth? For example, does less gravity mean less wear?

18. What is one of the more difficult materials to work with when doing
    service/maintenance?

19. Is there a mechanical device on the ISS that has never needed repair?

20. What mechanical device needs the most maintenance or repair?

21. Does time feel shorter or longer when you are up there for 6 months a ''
    time?

22. When you are up in space does it make you want to eat more or less?

PLEASE CHECK THE FOLLOWING FOR MORE INFORMATION ON ARISS UPDATES:

      Visit ARISS on Facebook. We can be found at Amateur Radio on the
      International Space Station (ARISS).

      To receive our Twitter updates, follow @ARISS_status

Next planned event(s):

      TBD

About ARISS:

Amateur Radio on the International Space Station (ARISS) is a cooperative venture of international amateur radio societies and the space agencies that support the International Space Station (ISS). In the United States, sponsors are the Radio Amateur Satellite Corporation (AMSAT), the American Radio Relay League (ARRL), the Center for the Advancement of Science in Space (CASIS) and  National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA).  The primary goal of ARISS is to promote exploration of science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) topics by organizing scheduled contacts via amateur radio between crew members aboard the ISS and students in classrooms or informal education venues.  With the help of experienced amateur radio volunteers, ISS crews speak directly with large audiences in a variety of public forums.  Before and during these radio contacts, students, teachers, parents, and communities learn about space, space technologies, and amateur radio.  For more informa
 tion, see www.ariss.org, www.amsat.org, and www.arrl.org.

Thank you & 73,

David - AA4KN