Topics

Alan W6WN's presentation video on the Camp Fire is up on YouTube

Greg D

Hi folks,

The video of Alan W6WN's January 2019 presentation on the Camp Fire is
up on the club's YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/dr5xm3KsnsQ

I was able to stitch in the pictures that weren't working, as well as
the short video he took of the town, so I encourage you to take a look.

Enjoy,

Greg KO6TH

Alan Thompson

Greg,

Thanks so much. I know that was quite a bit of work to produce those results.

I really appreciate the extra effort.

You have a bright future as a true Professional Videographer :)

Alan - W6WN

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

Thank you, Greg!
Do you know if his slides will be available as well (separately from the video)?

--Nathan K6NDC

Greg D

Hi Alan,

Don't know about video being a career...  There is so much more to learn, and every presentation gives me something new to chew on.  Thanks for pulling the presentation together.  Your message is an important one.

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

Greg,

Thanks so much. I know that was quite a bit of work to produce those results.

I really appreciate the extra effort.

You have a bright future as a true Professional Videographer :)

Alan - W6WN

Greg D

Hi Nathan,

Alan has the slide deck that he used during the presentation, but the
pictures he embedded in several of the slides didn't work that night. I
don't know if he has a "repaired" deck of what he presented available,
as I picked slides out of a newer (somewhat re-organized) presentation
that he provided me to replace the damaged ones.

If Alan has something to post, I hope he will do so.

Greg KO6TH

p.s. I've offered Brian to do a short Tech-10 on the video editing
process. If anyone's interested, let Brian know.

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC wrote:

Thank you, Greg!
Do you know if his slides will be available as well (separately from
the video)?

--Nathan K6NDC

Alan Thompson

Hi Nathan,

I have the material organized in an Open Office Presentation, but I converted the file to a PDF if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycygboyezo6prcw/Camp%20Fire%20Disaster%20Recovery.pdf?dl=0

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Alan Thompson

BTW, the video Greg produced and posted was picked up by QRZ. Pretty lively discussion there - gave me a lot to think about...

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/cell-phones-and-forest-fires-dont-mix.644048/

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Greg D

Hi Alan,

For others' benefit, could you upload the PDF to the Files section on the W6EK Groups site?

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

Hi Nathan,

I have the material organized in an Open Office Presentation, but I converted the file to a PDF if that helps.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycygboyezo6prcw/Camp%20Fire%20Disaster%20Recovery.pdf?dl=0

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Greg D

Wow, it certainly stirred up quite a conversation.  Hopefully the various communities at risk will come up with solutions that fit with their circumstances (geographic, resident density, etc.).

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

BTW, the video Greg produced and posted was picked up by QRZ. Pretty lively discussion there - gave me a lot to think about...

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/cell-phones-and-forest-fires-dont-mix.644048/

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Gary - KB7QWC

Alan,

   Will it be OK to share this PDF with others outside the club?

   Thanks,

   …Gary, KB7QWC

      Foresthill, CA

On 2019-01-29 21:24, W6WN wrote:
[...]
Links:
------
[1] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/message/4489
[2] https://groups.io/mt/29398069/735366
[3] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/post
[4] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/editsub/735366
[5] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/unsub

Alan Thompson

Hi Earl,

Yes, that's a shame. With all that's going on, you would think that everyone there would take advantage of every incentive offered. Even though there are a fair number of "Go It Alone" types in the area, still...

Talked to a couple in their 70s whose home was right next to one of my tower sites. Their home survived and they had returned. On the morning of the fire, they just happened to have had their RV loaded and ready to go on a fishing trip after the wife was to return from her Thursday morning bowling tournament. She never went bowling that morning. Instead, she jumped into the RV and he followed in one of their pickups. They evacuated about 8:30 AM but it took them almost 5 hours to get to Chico (22 miles away) because of the traffic jam.

He also told me that "The Vultures" were out circling in full force after the fire, offering to clean peoples' homes for $20,000 to $25,000. One of his absentee neighbors had hired a company that sent out a husband and wife team to clean his home. The couple then returned later that evening with a UHaul truck and started loading up all of the household possessions. A neighbor confronted them and asked what they were doing. They gave him some story about taking items for "special cleaning." He went home and immediately called the police. They're both sitting in jail now. Turns out they both had pretty extensive rap sheets.

It's a real serious concern now because it's well known that the area cannot find enough workers to rebuild the town. So some companies are obviously desperate to find workers to fill spots and are scraping the bottom of the barrel to do so.

Hey, where do we sign up for that Newsletter?

--

Alan - W6WN

Alan Thompson

Here is the Church I mentioned:

Magalia Community Church
13700 Old Skyway
Magalia, CA 95954

They especially need the following items:
  • Baby Wipes *
  • New socks and underwear
  • Canned food
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Baby diapers
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Small appliances
  • Pots and pans
  • Dishes and glasses
* The Baby Wipes are especially important as people are using them in place of the showers and baths they would have normally
Free shipping with Amazon Prime

--

Alan - W6WN