Topics

Alan W6WN's presentation video on the Camp Fire is up on YouTube

Greg D

Hi folks,

The video of Alan W6WN's January 2019 presentation on the Camp Fire is
up on the club's YouTube channel.

https://youtu.be/dr5xm3KsnsQ

I was able to stitch in the pictures that weren't working, as well as
the short video he took of the town, so I encourage you to take a look.

Enjoy,

Greg KO6TH

Alan Thompson

Greg,

Thanks so much. I know that was quite a bit of work to produce those results.

I really appreciate the extra effort.

You have a bright future as a true Professional Videographer :)

--

Alan - W6WN 

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

Thank you, Greg! 
Do you know if his slides will be available as well (separately from the video)?

--Nathan K6NDC

Greg D

Hi Alan,

Don't know about video being a career...  There is so much more to learn, and every presentation gives me something new to chew on.  Thanks for pulling the presentation together.  Your message is an important one.

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

Greg,

Thanks so much. I know that was quite a bit of work to produce those results.

I really appreciate the extra effort.

You have a bright future as a true Professional Videographer :)

--

Alan - W6WN 

Greg D

Hi Nathan,

Alan has the slide deck that he used during the presentation, but the
pictures he embedded in several of the slides didn't work that night. I
don't know if he has a "repaired" deck of what he presented available,
as I picked slides out of a newer (somewhat re-organized) presentation
that he provided me to replace the damaged ones.

If Alan has something to post, I hope he will do so.

Greg KO6TH

p.s. I've offered Brian to do a short Tech-10 on the video editing
process. If anyone's interested, let Brian know.

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC wrote:

Thank you, Greg!
Do you know if his slides will be available as well (separately from
the video)?

--Nathan K6NDC

Alan Thompson

Hi Nathan,

I have the material organized in an Open Office Presentation, but I converted the file to a PDF if that helps. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycygboyezo6prcw/Camp%20Fire%20Disaster%20Recovery.pdf?dl=0

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Alan Thompson

BTW, the video Greg produced and posted was picked up by QRZ. Pretty lively discussion there - gave me a lot to think about...

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/cell-phones-and-forest-fires-dont-mix.644048/

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Greg D

Hi Alan,

For others' benefit, could you upload the PDF to the Files section on the W6EK Groups site?

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

Hi Nathan,

I have the material organized in an Open Office Presentation, but I converted the file to a PDF if that helps. 

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycygboyezo6prcw/Camp%20Fire%20Disaster%20Recovery.pdf?dl=0

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Greg D

Wow, it certainly stirred up quite a conversation.  Hopefully the various communities at risk will come up with solutions that fit with their circumstances (geographic, resident density, etc.).

Greg  KO6TH

W6WN wrote:

BTW, the video Greg produced and posted was picked up by QRZ. Pretty lively discussion there - gave me a lot to think about...

http://forums.qrz.com/index.php?threads/cell-phones-and-forest-fires-dont-mix.644048/

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Gary - KB7QWC

Alan,

Will it be OK to share this PDF with others outside the club?

Thanks,

…Gary, KB7QWC

Foresthill, CA

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> On Behalf Of W6WN
Sent: Monday, January 28, 2019 6:16 AM
To: Nathan Chilton <k6ndc@...>; sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Alan W6WN's presentation video on the Camp Fire is up on YouTube

Hi Nathan,

--

Alan Thompson - W6LAN

Alan Thompson

Of course.

I've uploaded the presentation in PDF format to the Files Section.

I'm back up in Paradise today and tomorrow, and will try to provide some updates.

Alan - W6WN

Alan Thompson

Up in Paradise today and tomorrow.

Update: Interesting talks with some of the locals who were here the day of the fire and returned to start over. Everyone had a story to tell to anyone who would listen.

Confirmed that power and cell service went down as early as 8:30 AM in some areas of Paradise. That's about 2 hours after the fire first ignited.
Everyone I spoke with confirmed they did not receive any notices on TV, radio or cell phones that there was a fire in the area or did they receive any evacuation orders. None of the folks I spoke with had ever even heard of the county's CodeRED Alert System, let alone signed up for it.

Nobody panicked when the power went down because PG&E had already notified 70,000 customers two days earlier they might shut off the power. And the day before the fire started, PG&E had sent Employees door to door to ask residents if anyone living there might be on a respirator or otherwise need electricity. So, when the power and cell phones went off, people thought, "OK, no big deal, that's what they said they would do..."

One of the cell towers where I worked today was next to the Magalia Community Church, which has become a partner facility for the American Red Cross's Outreach Program. Although there was no one here when we first came in November, the entire parking lot and buildings have become a tent city with several campers, trailers and RVs parked nearby. The main church building and two enormous popup tents have been converted into a huge donation center where people can donate just about anything needed - furniture, clothing, food, water, household goods, and building materials, which are then distributed free of charge to any needy residents who come in to the center. There was a volunteer army of area residents there who were organizing and distributing the incoming donations.

Best way to describe it was that it was like a giant, Free Flea Market. There must have been at least 400 people pass through there today during the two hours I was working nearby. (without knowing it yet, T-Mobile has donated about 60 concrete construction blocks and several lengths of electrical conduit that they had instructed me to dispose of :)

I'll post a shipping address and a priority list of needs tomorrow where anyone who's interested can send donations (Sorry, I left the info in my truck and it's too late tonight to go get it).

--

Best Regards,

Alan - W6WN 

Earl Wilson

Added info from my experience. Read today in my emergency management newsletter that many people with losses from the Camp Fire are not signing up for debris removal by CalRecycle. This is a program funded by the state and they expect to be reimbursed by FEMA for 75% of the cost. If property owners do not sign up by Thursday, they will be responsible for the cleanup cost. The Carr Fire and my experience in Weed had about 98% signup. Debris removal ran about $50,000 for a residence. About half the property owners have authorized the state cleanup. Discussed this with my son this evening and he said some people apparently don't want government involvement and other people have left the area. If you know a property owner who has not yet signed up for the debris removal, reminded them of the Thursday deadline.
Earl, K6GPB

On 2019-01-29 21:24, W6WN wrote:
Up in Paradise today and tomorrow.
UPDATE: Interesting talks with some of the locals who were here the
day of the fire and returned to start over. Everyone had a story to
tell to anyone who would listen.
Confirmed that power and cell service went down as early as 8:30 AM in
some areas of Paradise. That's about 2 hours after the fire first
ignited.
Everyone I spoke with confirmed they did not receive any notices on
TV, radio or cell phones that there was a fire in the area or did they
receive any evacuation orders. None of the folks I spoke with had ever
even heard of the county's CodeRED Alert System, let alone signed up
for it.
Nobody panicked when the power went down because PG&E had already
notified 70,000 customers two days earlier they might shut off the
power. And the day before the fire started, PG&E had sent Employees
door to door to ask residents if anyone living there might be on a
respirator or otherwise need electricity. So, when the power and cell
phones went off, people thought, "OK, no big deal, that's what they
said they would do..."
One of the cell towers where I worked today was next to the Magalia
Community Church, which has become a partner facility for the American
Red Cross's Outreach Program. Although there was no one here when we
first came in November, the entire parking lot and buildings have
become a tent city with several campers, trailers and RVs parked
nearby. The main church building and two enormous popup tents have
been converted into a huge donation center where people can donate
just about anything needed - furniture, clothing, food, water,
household goods, and building materials, which are then distributed
free of charge to any needy residents who come in to the center. There
was a volunteer army of area residents there who were organizing and
distributing the incoming donations.
Best way to describe it was that it was like a giant, Free Flea
Market. There must have been at least 400 people pass through there
today during the two hours I was working nearby. (without knowing it
yet, T-Mobile has donated about 60 concrete construction blocks and
several lengths of electrical conduit that they had instructed me to
dispose of :)
I'll post a shipping address and a priority list of needs tomorrow
where anyone who's interested can send donations (Sorry, I left the
info in my truck and it's too late tonight to go get it).
--
Best Regards,
Alan - W6WN
Links:
------
[1] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/message/4489
[2] https://groups.io/mt/29398069/735366
[3] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/post
[4] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/editsub/735366
[5] https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/unsub

Alan Thompson

Hi Earl,

Yes, that's a shame. With all that's going on, you would think that everyone there would take advantage of every incentive offered. Even though there are a fair number of "Go It Alone" types in the area, still...

Talked to a couple in their 70s whose home was right next to one of my tower sites. Their home survived and they had returned. On the morning of the fire, they just happened to have had their RV loaded and ready to go on a fishing trip after the wife was to return from her Thursday morning bowling tournament. She never went bowling that morning. Instead, she jumped into the RV and he followed in one of their pickups. They evacuated about 8:30 AM but it took them almost 5 hours to get to Chico (22 miles away) because of the traffic jam. 

He also told me that "The Vultures" were out circling in full force after the fire, offering to clean peoples' homes for $20,000 to $25,000. One of his absentee neighbors had hired a company that sent out a husband and wife team to clean his home. The couple then returned later that evening with a UHaul truck and started loading up all of the household possessions. A neighbor confronted them and asked what they were doing. They gave him some story about taking items for "special cleaning." He went home and immediately called the police. They're both sitting in jail now. Turns out they both had pretty extensive rap sheets. 

It's a real serious concern now because it's well known that the area cannot find enough workers to rebuild the town. So some companies are obviously desperate to find workers to fill spots and are scraping the bottom of the barrel to do so. 

Hey, where do we sign up for that Newsletter?

--

Alan - W6WN

Alan Thompson

Here is the Church I mentioned:

Magalia Community Church
13700 Old Skyway
Magalia, CA 95954

They especially need the following items:
  • Baby Wipes *
  • New socks and underwear
  • Canned food
  • Toilet paper
  • Paper towels
  • Baby diapers
  • Cleaning supplies
  • Small appliances
  • Pots and pans
  • Dishes and glasses
* The Baby Wipes are especially important as people are using them in place of the showers and baths they would have normally
Free shipping with Amazon Prime

--

Alan - W6WN