Topics

FCC Proposes to Reinstate Ham License Fees

Brian Gohl - AI6US

I was too focused on "fees". Thanks!

(916) 770-7751

-------------------------
On Mon, 14 Sep 2020 12:18:42 -0700, Aaron Jones <aaron@...>
wrote:

Section 9 exempts amateur radio from “regulatory fees”. Section 8
addresses “application fees”, of which there is no exemption for amateur
radio.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Brian Gohl - AI6US
<ai6us@...> wrote:

Aaron K6ABJ

Section 9 exempts amateur radio from “regulatory fees”. Section 8 addresses “application fees”, of which there is no exemption for amateur radio.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 8:52 AM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

Brian Gohl - AI6US

https://www.congress.gov/115/plaws/publ141/PLAW-115publ141.pdf

Page 738 Sec.9, e, 1, b. Fees. Exception.

It appears that the FCC proposal for amateur radio licenses does not align with the law. The law provides exception of amateur radio licencees under part 97. Am I reading the law incorrectly or has the FCC proposed fees on an exempted service?

Skip - K6DGW

I don't think the FCC gets to keep it however

Orion, AI6JB

Apparently the FCC is now rolling in the dough!  Their latest auction brought in $4.5 billion.  That's "BILLION"!

https://www.techspot.com/news/86623-fcc-generates-more-than-45-billion-latest-wireless.html?utm_medium=techboard.thu.20200903&utm_source=email&utm_content=&utm_campaign=campaign

Aaron K6ABJ

The $50 fee proposal is listed in the ARRL website at http://www.arrl.org/news/fcc-proposes-to-reinstate-amateur-radio-service-fees

Aaron, K6ABJ

On Aug 30, 2020, at 2:49 PM, "carl.wf6j@..." <carl.wf6j@...> wrote:

This from North Hills… $50 fee?

Begin forwarded message:

From: Lance Lewis <nhrc.secretary.treasurer@...>
Subject: FCC Proposes to Reinstate Ham License Fees
Date: August 30, 2020 at 2:47:25 PM PDT
To: North Hills Radio Club <k6is@...>

This week, the Federal Communications Commission issued a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking that would require hams to pay to a $50 fee for each amateur radio license application. This includes new licenses, renewal and upgrades to existing licenses, and vanity call sign requests. Learn more at www.k6is.org.

This is one of several news updates added to the new North Hills Radio Club website, www.k6is.org.  Check it out.

Lance (KM6SBB)
Secretary-Treasurer

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

I like the idea of lowering the cost for a GMRS license, but a $50 fee to renew my ham license isn't a pleasant thought.

I was thinking of changing to a 5 call, once I move to Texas, but I won't bother if it's going to cost me $50.

carl.wf6j@gmail.com

This from North Hills… $50 fee?

Begin forwarded message: