Topics

JS8Call - More Fun Than Watching Cement Cure #digital

Dennis - WU6X

One of the contacts on 40m was a ham on a Xeigu g90, interesting SDR radio ... Lot's of potential for QRP, but you have to run the software on something ... downloads are available for Windows, Mac, Linux, RasberryPi and others.

Thanks Dennis.  I think this is an important mode—because you can actually pass messages, not just your call sign, albeit somewhat slowly.  Think of the possibilities for very light weight low power communication (like APRS) for hikers in the wilderness...

- Jef  N5JEF

On Tue, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:17 AM Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:
Hi Gang,
I was introduced to JS8Call this morning by a friend in the UK, and had it downloaded and running with my TS-480HX in about 15 minutes. The rest of the 1/2 hour was learning how to make a QSO. For those of you looking for a fun digital mode to try, this mode actually allows you to type messages back and forth during the QSO. Waaaaay more fun than the WSJT-X "cement cure" mode. Since JS8Call is based on WSJT-X, all the settings are the same, so radio setup is quick if you are already on that mode.

Anyway, if you want to download and try it go to: http://js8call.com/ and then to the download tab to get the version for your device. My first QSO was with Ted-KJ6NON on both 40m and 20m and, after a little elmer'ing by him, was up and running in no time.

Hope to see you on JS8Call