Topics

Fun with comets

Phil - KM6NFS

Edited

Nice images, Greg and Jeremiah. I can really see the curve of the tail in them.

I'll add to the parade of comet pictures.

I had missed the ISS passing in front the tail on Saturday. But on Sunday, as I was setting up my camera I noticed a satellite moving through the sky. I quickly snapped a couple of pictures, and later that night when I downloaded the pictures I found that one of them had the satellite and Neowise in the same frame. I looked up satellite passes for that night on heavens-above.com, and discovered that the satellite was in fact, ISS. If you're wondering about the squiggly line, it's because the camera's shutter mechanism caused my flimsy tripod to shake!

73

Phil KM6NFS

Michele - WH7QC

Wow! Thanks Greg! This photo is terrific! Thank you so much for sharing with all of us!
Michele
WH7QC

Jeff - KM6RGO

Great picture!  I enjoyed the comet a couple of evenings myself with binoculars.  Worth the time.

Jeff, KM6RGO
916-849-0736

On Jul 23, 2020, at 3:24 PM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

 Nice picture, Jeremiah.  Comet pictures with a landscape scene below give you a much better feel for the scale of things.

Greg  KO6TH

Jeremiah Delaossa wrote:

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:02 PM, Michael - N6MRP
Nice photo Greg! The ISS pass was a good extra.

Mike N6MRP

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

> As comet NEOWISE fades into the sunset, if you think you've missed it
> you're not too late.  It's still there in the late evening (about 10pm),
> below and a little to the left of the pan of the Big Dipper, in the
> north-western sky.  You will need binoculars, unless you're in a really
> dark place, and have better eyes than I do.
>
> The attached was photographed Monday night, 7/20.  Not the best image,
> but better than my earlier attempts.  On Saturday there was a pass of
> the International Space Station that crossed through the comet's tail,
> but unfortunately I botched imaging it...
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Greg  KO6TH

Greg D

Jeremiah Delaossa wrote:

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 1:02 PM, Michael - N6MRP
Nice photo Greg! The ISS pass was a good extra.

Mike N6MRP

On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 9:27 AM Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

> As comet NEOWISE fades into the sunset, if you think you've missed it
> you're not too late.  It's still there in the late evening (about 10pm),
> below and a little to the left of the pan of the Big Dipper, in the
> north-western sky.  You will need binoculars, unless you're in a really
> dark place, and have better eyes than I do.
>
> The attached was photographed Monday night, 7/20.  Not the best image,
> but better than my earlier attempts.  On Saturday there was a pass of
> the International Space Station that crossed through the comet's tail,
> but unfortunately I botched imaging it...
>
> Enjoy,
>
> Greg  KO6TH

Jeremiah Delaossa