Topics

Yaesu FTM-400 features?

Jef - N5JEF

Wondering if anyone with experience with the Yaesu FTM-400 might be able to comment on the following items from my VHF/UHF mobile radio wish list?  I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to get the questions answered by searching online.

Good cross-band repeat
-  CW ID during bi-directional crossband?
-  Support unidirectional cross band repeat?
-  support C4FM cross band repeat
- "hot mic" problem during cross-band repeat?

Able to use two different PL or DCS codes for Tx, Rx on a repeater?

Able to create a memory channel where TX and Rx can be on different bands?

Have IF output for SDR?

Good CAT control capability?

Reliable MARS CAP (out of band) support that is immune to firmware updates?

- Jef  N5JEF

Dennis - WU6X

You might check the Groups.io for that radio. Typically someone has worked through the issue...

Dennis, WU6X

On Jun 20, 2020, at 11:29 AM, Jef - N5JEF <jef@...> wrote:

Wondering if anyone with experience with the Yaesu FTM-400 might be able to comment on the following items from my VHF/UHF mobile radio wish list?  I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to get the questions answered by searching online.

Good cross-band repeat
-  CW ID during bi-directional crossband?
-  Support unidirectional cross band repeat?
-  support C4FM cross band repeat
- "hot mic" problem during cross-band repeat?

Able to use two different PL or DCS codes for Tx, Rx on a repeater?

Able to create a memory channel where TX and Rx can be on different bands?

Have IF output for SDR?

Good CAT control capability?

Reliable MARS CAP (out of band) support that is immune to firmware updates?

- Jef  N5JEF

Gerry - WA6E

I'll take a crack at a few.

On 6/20/2020 11:29 AM, Jef - N5JEF wrote:
Wondering if anyone with experience with the Yaesu FTM-400 might be able to comment on the following items from my VHF/UHF mobile radio wish list?  I'm finding it frustratingly difficult to get the questions answered by searching online.

Good cross-band repeat
-  CW ID during bi-directional crossband?  No.

-  Support unidirectional cross band repeat?  No.  But perhaps you can effectively defeat it by using some strange PL on signals going the other way.

-  support C4FM cross band repeat  No.  Stricly FM only - both sides.

- "hot mic" problem during cross-band repeat?  No.  PTT still active and mic dead when PTT not pushed.

Able to use two different PL or DCS codes for Tx, Rx on a repeater?  If the 400 can do that now, I believe it will do it in cross-band.  But I'm not sure if it can do it in regular mode.

Able to create a memory channel where TX and Rx can be on different bands?  I don't think so or at least my RTS software makes no provision for that.

I have no input on the rest of your questions.

Gerry
WA6E

Have IF output for SDR?

Good CAT control capability?

Reliable MARS CAP (out of band) support that is immune to firmware updates?

- Jef  N5JEF

Jef - N5JEF

Gerry -

Thank you very much.  Guess it's still not time for me to buy a new radio...

- Jef