Topics

Signal Corps Sign-ups

Dennis - WU6X

If you hurry, you might still be able to sign up.

Al - WB6RUU

I was employed at the Sacramento Signal Depot (Army Depot when I started there) for 25 years.

On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 6:27 PM Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:
If you hurry, you might still be able to sign up.

Earl - K6GPB

Just signed up for Motorcyclist.  If worst comes to worst, may end up on the bottom of the list as a chauffeur of a sidecar.

Earl, K6GPB

On 5/5/2020 18:26, Dennis - WU6X wrote:
If you hurry, you might still be able to sign up.

KM6YKX - Rob Newburn

Interesting-was talking to a lady on the radio recently, her dad was WW2 signal corps and was assigned to carrier pidgeons. Later, he did aerial recon photography. After he died, they found some undeveloped film and had it developed. There was some damage to the film but the aerial pics did come out with a few spots. Pretty cool.

Dennis - WU6X

Pretty cool, Rob. My Dad was in Army Air Corps, stationed in England and I have pictures from bombing runs over Germany taken by the bombers. Other stuff too. I once contacted a couple WW2 museums, including the Smithsonian in DC, and they weren't interested. I suppose there is a huge amount of this type of stuff out there.
Dennis - WU6X

Michael - N6MRP

Think I was 12 years old when I asked my Granddad what he did in the
Navy during WWI. He said he was a ship radio operator. He didn't go
into any detail. Wish I would have asked more.

Mike N6MRP

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:43 AM Rob Newburn <robnewburn@att.net> wrote:

Interesting-was talking to a lady on the radio recently, her dad was WW2 signal corps and was assigned to carrier pidgeons. Later, he did aerial recon photography. After he died, they found some undeveloped film and had it developed. There was some damage to the film but the aerial pics did come out with a few spots. Pretty cool.

Dennis - WU6X

Yeah, same here ... I didn’t ask enough questions and now lost to my kids.

Dennis
iPhone Mobile

On May 6, 2020, at 10:25 AM, Michael - N6MRP <mrprry2@gmail.com> wrote:
Think I was 12 years old when I asked my Granddad what he did in the
Navy during WWI. He said he was a ship radio operator. He didn't go
into any detail. Wish I would have asked more.

Mike N6MRP

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:43 AM Rob Newburn <robnewburn@att.net> wrote:

Interesting-was talking to a lady on the radio recently, her dad was WW2 signal corps and was assigned to carrier pidgeons. Later, he did aerial recon photography. After he died, they found some undeveloped film and had it developed. There was some damage to the film but the aerial pics did come out with a few spots. Pretty cool.

Gerry - WA6E

I have a good friend here who is a retired school teacher.  He was in the Navy during the Viet Nam war.  He had joined to avoid being drafted and going into the Army.  The Navy gave him a choice of one of three options for a specialty:  One had to do with radar repair, another with electronics of some sort and the third was as a signalman.  He didn't know or care about radar or electronics so he chose signalman.  He told me about going to school to learn how to use the flags to send a message to another ship.  I asked him if he ever used those flags for that purpose.  He said he used them once. He was assigned to a ship and they were in some harbor in Viet Nam. A nearby ship had extra beer and his ship had extra ice cream.  So a trade deal was negotiated using the flags.  Other than that he never used them.

I believe that everybody who has ever been in the military has stories like this - I know I have my share.

Gerry
WA6E

On 5/6/2020 10:25 AM, Michael - N6MRP wrote:
Think I was 12 years old when I asked my Granddad what he did in the
Navy during WWI. He said he was a ship radio operator. He didn't go
into any detail. Wish I would have asked more.

Mike N6MRP

On Wed, May 6, 2020 at 8:43 AM Rob Newburn <robnewburn@att.net> wrote:
Interesting-was talking to a lady on the radio recently, her dad was WW2 signal corps and was assigned to carrier pidgeons. Later, he did aerial recon photography. After he died, they found some undeveloped film and had it developed. There was some damage to the film but the aerial pics did come out with a few spots. Pretty cool.

KM6YKX - Rob Newburn

Yeah, i have a bunch of official USN photos...WW2 LST beach landings, carrier groups, etc...very cool. One of my CO's when i was in the reserves copied some of them and used special pens/pencils to colorize them...they came out great.

My dad was Army signal man of sorts...working for Mac Arthurs crypto group as a coder/decoder and sometimes armed courier in Japan during Korea. At 86, he doesnt rember CW anymore though.

Lastly, i recently acquired a few keys (straight and bug). Got a bug hooked up so i can tune my amp...but still thinking i need to learn CW. I have some beginner tapes. Need to find my old tape player and start listening.

Cheers! (In 2 hrs, 7 min ;o)
Rob KM6YKX

Pretty cool, Rob. My Dad was in Army Air Corps, stationed in England and I have pictures from bombing runs over Germany taken by the bombers. Other stuff too. I once contacted a couple WW2 museums, including the Smithsonian in DC, and they weren't interested. I suppose there is a huge amount of this type of stuff out there.
Dennis - WU6X

Bruce - K6BAA

When I was in the Army, we had a jeep accident in the field where a
soldier seriously injured his knee. We called a helicopter medivac by
radio. The Huey arrived and kept circling despite our radio instructions
and smoke to mark our LZ. I remembered I had a signal mirror. After
couple of tries, the Huey spotted my flashing mirror and landed. Low
tech won the day.

Bruce-K6BAA

On 5/6/2020 1:11 PM, Gerry - WA6E wrote:
[...]

Okay, since ya all are tellin' "sea stories", I was a shipboard Radarman, but since I knew Morse, I spent a lot of time on the signal bridge and learned flashing light AND semaphores (flags). I remember using this deck of cards with flags on them and studying with a signalman buddy until I mastered it. Decoding the flags was fun when we were close enough to another ship.
The flashing light skills only came into use one time, later, while in the reserves aboard a Destroyer moored in San Diego Harbor. I was PO of the Deck and another destroyer was coming into the harbor very slowly, madly flashing light at us. I decoded the flashes only to find out they had lost power (and steering), and needed help ASAP. I called the Harbor Master and in about 5 minutes 2 tugs came out to help. You never know when learning the code will be important, maybe even life-saving. So, get busy! That cell phone just won't do it in a real disaster scenario.
73, Dennis - WU6X