Topics

How Rockets are Made #QST

Dennis - WU6X

This video takes you through the United Launch Alliance (ULA) rocket factory in Decatur, AL just down the street from the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. If you've been to the US Space & Rocket Center (I've been twice) to see the finished product, or you are an engineer, you will thoroughly enjoy this video tour by CEO Tory Bruno, a real "rocket scientist" turned executive. It's a long video, but well worth it. The Decatur factory designs and builds the Atlas V, Delta IV, and the new Vulcan Centaur rocket. Unbelievable technical and engineering expertise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fG_lnVhHw

Enjoy,
Dennis - WU6X

Gary - KB7QWC

Dennis,

   This video was great!  Thanks for sharing it.

   …Gary Willet, KB7QWC  WREN366

This video takes you through the United Launch Alliance (ULA) rocket factory in Decatur, AL just down the street from the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. If you've been to the US Space & Rocket Center (I've been twice) to see the finished product, or you are an engineer, you will thoroughly enjoy this video tour by CEO Tory Bruno, a real "rocket scientist" turned executive. It's a long video, but well worth it. The Decatur factory designs and builds the Atlas V, Delta IV, and the new Vulcan Centaur rocket. Unbelievable technical and engineering expertise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fG_lnVhHw

Enjoy,
Dennis - WU6X

Richard - AA6RS <rwsnyder11@...>

Thanks Dennis
I found the videos very interesting, especially when compared to operations at Space-X (notably no engine assembly). I have been privileged to tour Space-X a couple times (my son works there) and there is a huge difference in materials (more composites) and automation (more). But of course the end products serves very different needs and customers.

Thanks for posting

Rich aa6rs

Richard Snyder

m  510-918-3409

AA6RS@...

               "In small things considered is the world revealed"

On Mar 9, 2020, at 23:09, Gary - KB7QWC <kb7qwc@...> wrote:

Dennis,

   This video was great!  Thanks for sharing it.

   …Gary Willet, KB7QWC  WREN366

This video takes you through the United Launch Alliance (ULA) rocket factory in Decatur, AL just down the street from the US Space & Rocket Center in Huntsville, AL. If you've been to the US Space & Rocket Center (I've been twice) to see the finished product, or you are an engineer, you will thoroughly enjoy this video tour by CEO Tory Bruno, a real "rocket scientist" turned executive. It's a long video, but well worth it. The Decatur factory designs and builds the Atlas V, Delta IV, and the new Vulcan Centaur rocket. Unbelievable technical and engineering expertise!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0fG_lnVhHw

Enjoy,

Yes, Dennis a very fascinating find!

I was most in awe at the fact with all the high tech and tight tolerances, the human eye, i.e. craftsman, is more accurate than automation when they are breaking the huge aluminum panels.

73

Orion Endres, AI6JB

1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383

(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.