Topics

FCC Grants ARRL Temporary Waiver Request to Permit PACTOR 4 Use in Hurricane Relief #emcomm #emcomm

Jef - N5JEF

"09/16/2018

The FCC has granted an ARRL request for a temporary waiver of Section 97.307(f) of the FCC’s Amateur Service rules to permit the use of PACTOR 4 digital mode for Amateur Radio communication within the continental US related to Hurricane Florence relief. The grant extends through Tuesday, September 18, and a formal order addressing the request for a 30-day waiver will be issued next week, the FCC said."

http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-grants-arrl-temporary-waiver-request-to-permit-pactor-4-use-in-hurricane-relief

This, and the previous waivers for Hurricane Maria and the relief work in Hawaii, appear to be good signs for progress on the antiquated "symbol-rate" proceeding currently pending with FCC.

- Jef  N5JEF

Jim Piper <n6med@...>

One can only hope, Jef. The amount of time that the FCC is taking to review and permanently change the rules for data from baud (symbol) rate to bandwidth has been very frustrating. The arguments "out there" against the proposal, though in some case articulate, are nothing but red herrings.

I ran an empirical test only this past week while hamping with a couple of my buds at Logger/Stampede Reservoir. I was operating Winlink PACTOR on 40M. Both of my friends whose antennas were less than 100 feet away and similar heights, listened 10kHz away from my 35W signal and heard NOTHING even when I bumped up to P4 for a short transmit. (Yeah, I know I wasn't supposed to send P4, but in the interest of science...)

Jef - N5JEF

Jim -

Thanks for sharing that experience.  I ain't skeered of no Pactor 4 on the bands, but I know there are some who are afraid it will have an adverse impact on the only authentic, pure, and original mode of digital HF communications.

Onward!

- Jef  N5JEF

On Mon, Sep 17, 2018 at 9:14 AM Jim Piper <n6med@...> wrote:

One can only hope, Jef. The amount of time that the FCC is taking to review and permanently change the rules for data from baud (symbol) rate to bandwidth has been very frustrating. The arguments "out there" against the proposal, though in some case articulate, are nothing but red herrings.

I ran an empirical test only this past week while hamping with a couple of my buds at Logger/Stampede Reservoir. I was operating Winlink PACTOR on 40M. Both of my friends whose antennas were less than 100 feet away and similar heights, listened 10kHz away from my 35W signal and heard NOTHING even when I bumped up to P4 for a short transmit. (Yeah, I know I wasn't supposed to send P4, but in the interest of science...)

Jef - N5JEF

Oh, and "hamping"?  I guess that means camping in a hammock?

I ran an empirical test only this past week while hamping with a couple of my buds at Logger/Stampede Reservoir.