Topics

Ladder for Antenna Install #antennas

Chris - KM6TRS

Well, I got everything ready to install my Diamond X50 antenna on my roof eave, but my efforts were thwarted when I discovered my borrowed extension ladder isn’t anywhere tall enough to get me up there. I probably need a 33-36 foot extension ladder and they are $400 yikes. Does anyone have a ladder I could borrow by chance? If not I will have to pay someone to install it. 

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Dennis - WU6X

I have a sturdy, 24 foot extension ladder you are welcome to borrow. It is pretty heavy, and you would need to haul it from here to there.

Dennis, WU6X

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> on behalf of Chris <CONNOLLYCK@...>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:28 AM
To: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: [W6EK Groups.io] Ladder for Antenna Install #antennas

Well, I got everything ready to install my Diamond X50 antenna on my roof eave, but my efforts were thwarted when I discovered my borrowed extension ladder isn’t anywhere tall enough to get me up there. I probably need a 33-36 foot extension ladder and they are $400 yikes. Does anyone have a ladder I could borrow by chance? If not I will have to pay someone to install it. 

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

--
Dennis - WU6X

Chris - KM6TRS

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate it.  I have a 22 Foot one now. It’s going to need to be much taller 

On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:31 AM, Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...> wrote:

I have a sturdy, 24 foot extension ladder you are welcome to borrow. It is pretty heavy, and you would need to haul it from here to there.

Dennis, WU6X

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> on behalf of Chris <CONNOLLYCK@...>

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Bob <wotbob01@...>

Can you rent one?

To: Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...>
Cc: "sfarc@w6ek.groups.io" <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [W6EK Groups.io] Ladder for Antenna Install #antennas

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate it.  I have a 22 Foot one now. It’s going to need to be much taller 

Dennis, WU6X

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Chris - KM6TRS

Bob that’s a great idea. I’ll call Home Depot. Maybe they rent them. 

On Aug 21, 2018, at 10:45 AM, Bob Naylor <wotbob01@...> wrote:

Can you rent one?

To: Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...>
Cc: "sfarc@w6ek.groups.io" <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, August 21, 2018 10:39 AM
Subject: Re: [W6EK Groups.io] Ladder for Antenna Install #antennas

Dennis, WU6X

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Greg D

Instead of going up from below, can you access the mount site from above (from the roof)?  Alternatively, is there a handy vent pipe nearby on the roof that can be used for mounting instead?

Just thinking of alternatives....

Greg  KO6TH

Chris wrote:

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Dennis - WU6X

Good idea on the vent Greg. A couple zip ties and you are done. I’ve mounted antennas that way and it works. 

Dennis, WU6X

On Aug 21, 2018, at 11:32 AM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

Instead of going up from below, can you access the mount site from above (from the roof)?  Alternatively, is there a handy vent pipe nearby on the roof that can be used for mounting instead?

Greg  KO6TH

Chris wrote:

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

--
Dennis - WU6X

Greg D

I used a pair of metal hose clamps instead of zip-ties, since they don't degrade in sunlight.  It's holding up a copper pipe J-pole that I made a few decades ago, doing well. 

The only other caution is to be sure to check the weather seal around the vent pipe's flashing.  The rubber on mine dried and cracked after many years, and causing a small leak.  Easily fixed with enough silicon caulk.

Greg  KO6TH

Dennis Gregory wrote:

Good idea on the vent Greg. A couple zip ties and you are done. I’ve mounted antennas that way and it works. 

Dennis, WU6X

On Aug 21, 2018, at 11:32 AM, Greg D <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:

Greg  KO6TH

Chris wrote:

Thanks,

Chris
KM6TRS

Chris - KM6TRS

I ended up mounting the antenna to a second story balcony with zip ties. Works great. Thanks all for the advice

Greg D

Perfect.

Greg KO6TH

On August 21, 2018 9:11:00 PM PDT, Chris <CONNOLLYCK@...> wrote:
I ended up mounting the antenna to a second story balcony with zip ties. Works great. Thanks all for the advice

--
Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.