Topics

New hashtags: #emcomm #digital #antennas #automation

Jef - N5JEF

On Wed, Feb 21, 2018 at 10:23 AM, Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:

Hashtags is something new for this group, not offered by Yahoo. Attached is a "how to" on their value and use. Please look at what Hashtags are already available before you create a new one to help prevent duplicate topics of the same content.

Thanks Dennis.

All the currently existing hashtags are of a generally administrative nature,

So I've created the following hashtags to share for some more technical and operational topics:

  • #nvis
    Near Vertical Incidence Skywave related.  Antennas, theory, operation, examples, ...

  • #emcomm
    Emergency communication related.  ARES, go-kits, rapid-deployment, field-expedient antennas, emergency power, emergency plans and procedures, ...

  • #digital
    Digital text and voice modes, HF, VHF/UHF, VOIP, ROIP, codecs, DSTAR, DMR, P25,  ...

  • #antennas
    Antenna design, theory, deployment, performance measurements, ...

  • #automation
    Arduino, Raspberry Pi, remote bases, repeater controllers, remote control

- Jef  N5JEF

These are great except for NVIS, which should fall under #antennas. We need to keep Hashtags as general to a "topic" as possible, otherwise the list will grow making it more difficult to find an existing Hashtag to assign. Also, a search should list all related content, not just a single Message topic. It's easier to look through a list of search results rather than to do multiple searches for different Hashtags that one thinks may contain the desired content.
Tnx, Dennis, WU6X

Jef - N5JEF

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 8:42 AM, Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:
These are great except for NVIS, which should fall under #antennas. We need to keep Hashtags as general to a "topic" as possible, otherwise the list will grow exponentially making it more difficult to find an existing Hashtag to assign. Also, a search should list all related content, not just a single Message topic. It's easier to search through a list of search results rather than to do multiple searches for different Hashtags that one thinks may contain the desired content.

Dennis -

NVIS is a general topic that is about considerably more than antennas.
  • Special Interest Groups
    There is group activity dedicated to operating and testing NVIS regional communications, such as the Red Cross group operating up and down the coast every Saturday morning on 75/60/40 meters and then publishing a table of signal reports from various locations.
  • Propagation studies, tools, awareness
    There are special propagation tools to show current and historical ionospheric conditions relevant to NVIS.  Choice of frequency for ionosphere conditions and more generally, time of day is quite specific to NVIS and different from DX operation.

  • Distinct digital modes
    Choice of digital HF mode is quite different for NVIS rather than those optimized for DX, due to the distinct fading modes of NVIS.

  • Military and emergency programs
    The FEMA SHARES program and the military interoperable exercises are about NVIS operation in a way that is much more than antennas.

  • And yes, also, NVIS-specific antenna theory, construction, and deployment (which overlaps with #antennas)
    Horizontally-polarized mobile antennas; height above ground - higher is not better beyond 1/4  λ, HF diversity and circular polarization

That said, I agree with your point that hashtags should be as general as possible---but not more so.

- Jef  N5JEF

Dennis - WU6X

You can always do the "general" search, then a more specific search within the search results. For example, search #contests, then add "CQP" to see messages on CQP only, within the search results.

Dennis -

I understand that as Administrator, you have disallowed and removed the #nvis hashtag from this group.

I will play by your rules and continue to share as appropriate.

I suppose just putting "NVIS" in the body of a message might allow anyone interested to find that topic.

- Jef

On Tue, Aug 7, 2018 at 9:45 AM, Dennis - WU6X <wu6x@...> wrote:
You can always do the "general" search, then a more specific search within the search results. For example, search #contests, then add "CQP" to see messages on CQP only, within the search results.

You are correct on all accounts. In a search results, you can type any "word" and all messages with that word will be shown. So, if I wanted information on NVIS antennas, I would search #antennas, then add "NVIS" in the search box to filter the list to only those postings with NVIS content.
Dennis, WU6X