Topics

FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices #fcc

Orion, AI6JB

Hi everyone,

Thought you might find this article interesting.  It emphasizes our role as Hams.  We have significant privileges granted to us by our license.  But, it comes with great responsibility to operate in accordance with the laws we agreed to when we accepted our license.  
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

Orion, AI6JB

Bob <wotbob01@...>

Great! I was wondering when the FCC would finally do something about these. Too bad there's so many out there already.
Bob  WE6C

To: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:10 AM
Subject: [W6EK Groups.io] FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

Hi everyone,

Thought you might find this article interesting.  It emphasizes our role as Hams.  We have significant privileges granted to us by our license.  But, it comes with great responsibility to operate in accordance with the laws we agreed to when we accepted our license.  
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

Orion, AI6JB

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Jef - N5JEF

Thanks Orion for sharing this.

And as I pointed out elsewhere, these toy radios lack the filtering of serious radios, so they are extremely susceptible to overload from other nearby transmitters, and a significant (and illegal) portion of their apparent output power goes to spurious emissions out of band.

Sadly, these very real deficiencies are not apparent to the naive user of these radios.

- Jef  N5JEF

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Bob via Groups.Io <wotbob01@...> wrote:
Great! I was wondering when the FCC would finally do something about these. Too bad there's so many out there already.
Bob  WE6C

Subject: [W6EK Groups.io] FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

Hi everyone,

Orion, AI6JB

Virus-free. www.avg.com

Dennis - WU6X

That is "mostly" true ... the BTech UV-5x3 shows to be an excellent radio as viewed on N6UG's service monitor, comparing to ICOM and Kenwood.

Dennis, WU6X

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> on behalf of Jef Allbright <jef@...>
Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:34 AM
To: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io; WE6C - Bob
Cc: ojendres@...
Subject: Re: [W6EK Groups.io] FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

Thanks Orion for sharing this.

And as I pointed out elsewhere, these toy radios lack the filtering of serious radios, so they are extremely susceptible to overload from other nearby transmitters, and a significant (and illegal) portion of their apparent output power goes to spurious emissions out of band.

Sadly, these very real deficiencies are not apparent to the naive user of these radios.

- Jef  N5JEF

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Bob via Groups.Io <wotbob01@...> wrote:
Bob  WE6C

Hi everyone,

Orion, AI6JB

Virus-free. www.avg.com

--
Dennis - WU6X

Jef - N5JEF

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...> wrote:
That is "mostly" true ... the BTech UV-5x3 shows to be an excellent radio as viewed on N6UG's service monitor, comparing to ICOM and Kenwood.

Yes, looking only at spurious emissions, and not at receiver susceptibility to overload, somewhere between 25% and 50% of Baofang radios were found to meet legal requirements in this ARRL lab testing:  http://i.imgur.com/AMEh8WZ.jpg

- Jef 

Dennis - WU6X

I've had no issues with the 5x3 tri-bander, unlike the UV3r and UV5r I also own, where the receivers seem to be quite susceptible to adjacent signals and just plain RF noise.

Dennis

Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:44 AM
To: Dennis Gregory
Cc: WE6C - Bob; sfarc@w6ek.groups.io; ojendres@...
Subject: Re: [W6EK Groups.io] FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...> wrote:

Yes, looking only at spurious emissions, and not at receiver susceptibility to overload, somewhere between 25% and 50% of Baofang radios were found to meet legal requirements in this ARRL lab testing:  http://i.imgur.com/AMEh8WZ.jpg

- Jef 

--
Dennis - WU6X

Nathan Chilton - K6NDC

The objection isn't related to the concern over spurious emissions or other issues stemming from the quality of the transmissions.

"RF devices that have been authorized under Part 90 rules (Private Land Mobile Radio services), such as the model at issue, must operate within the technical parameters established in those rules."

This device is "capable of operating outside the scope of its equipment authorization"

Amcrest admitted that the UV-5R V2+ is “capable of operating on restricted frequencies.”

The violation is due to the way the radios were being marketed and the fact that they are capable of transmitting on frequencies outside of the part 90 rules (and with more power than was allowed by those rules). 

This doesn't prevent their use under Part 97 or restrict their sale for such purposes.  

--Nathan, K6NDC

Matthew - KC6RUO

Interesting they are taking action now.  I sniffed out three idiots transmitting on Police/Fire frequencies in the last 5 years and the FCC did nothing other than to say the UV-5R was FCC type accepted as a commercial radio.

We ended up arresting them for 148(a)(2) of the California Penal Code instead.  One of them was a ham radio operator.  I will mention no names.

Alan Thompson

Interesting. I have a couple of IP cameras from the same company, "Amcrest Industries, LLC (formerly Foscam Digital Technologies, LLC)" Looks like there has been some kind of shakeup there: http://foscam.us/
--
Best Regards,

Alan Thompson - W6LAN
S
enior Technician
El Dorado Networks

Bob <wotbob01@...>

I never could figure out why these radios were introduced to the public that could transmit EVERYWHERE! The "problem waiting to happen did indeed happen.

Bob  WE6C

On Friday, August 3, 2018, 11:39:01 AM PDT, Matthew Diridoni <matteod@...> wrote:

Interesting they are taking action now.  I sniffed out three idiots transmitting on Police/Fire frequencies in the last 5 years and the FCC did nothing other than to say the UV-5R was FCC type accepted as a commercial radio.

We ended up arresting them for 148(a)(2) of the California Penal Code instead.  One of them was a ham radio operator.  I will mention no names.