From: "Orion , AI6JB" <ojendres@...>
To: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Sent: Thursday, August 2, 2018 11:10 AM
Subject: [W6EK Groups.io] FCC Cites #Baofeng Importer for Illegally Marketing Unauthorized RF Devices

Hi everyone,

Thought you might find this article interesting.  It emphasizes our role as Hams.  We have significant privileges granted to us by our license.  But, it comes with great responsibility to operate in accordance with the laws we agreed to when we accepted our license.
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

Thanks Orion for sharing this.

And as I pointed out elsewhere, these toy radios lack the filtering of serious radios, so they are extremely susceptible to overload from other nearby transmitters, and a significant (and illegal) portion of their apparent output power goes to spurious emissions out of band.

Sadly, these very real deficiencies are not apparent to the naive user of these radios.

- Jef  N5JEF

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:21 AM, Bob via Groups.Io <wotbob01@...> wrote:
Great! I was wondering when the FCC would finally do something about these. Too bad there's so many out there already.
Bob  WE6C

Thought you might find this article interesting.  It emphasizes our role as Hams.  We have significant privileges granted to us by our license.  But, it comes with great responsibility to operate in accordance with the laws we agreed to when we accepted our license.
http://www.arrl.org/news/view/fcc-cites-baofeng-importer-for-illegally-marketing-unauthorized-rf-devices

That is "mostly" true ... the BTech UV-5x3 shows to be an excellent radio as viewed on N6UG's service monitor, comparing to ICOM and Kenwood.

Dennis, WU6X

On Thu, Aug 2, 2018 at 11:37 AM, Dennis Gregory <wu6x@...> wrote:
That is "mostly" true ... the BTech UV-5x3 shows to be an excellent radio as viewed on N6UG's service monitor, comparing to ICOM and Kenwood.

Yes, looking only at spurious emissions, and not at receiver susceptibility to overload, somewhere between 25% and 50% of Baofang radios were found to meet legal requirements in this ARRL lab testing:  http://i.imgur.com/AMEh8WZ.jpg

- Jef

Dennis - WU6X

I've had no issues with the 5x3 tri-bander, unlike the UV3r and UV5r I also own, where the receivers seem to be quite susceptible to adjacent signals and just plain RF noise.

Dennis