2021 CERA Enduro pictures - Net Control

Greg - KO6TH

Edited

Hi folks,

Fun event, for sure! A lot of noise when the bikes were around (and
these were supposedly the quiet ones), but very peaceful when they
weren't there. Light breeze, periods of direct sun but mostly light
shade through the pines. Lots of dust.

Radio operations were fairly normal, trying to keep track of the riders
when the sweeps failed to show. The event course wasn't published for
security reasons, and the very few who did have access to it only had a
piece of the picture. One broken bike, and two that ran out of gas,
giving locations that had no correlation to points on the Forrest
Service map. I'm really curious about the back-story of the place
called "Rock Lobster". A few random non-participants on the trail
causing confusion. Fortunately, no injuries, and I don't think they
lost anybody (though a few apparently discovered some "alternate paths"
between a couple of the checkpoints).

I remembered to take some pictures this time. See views of
the Net Control station that I operated with Aaron, K6ABJ on our Dropbox site.

Greg KO6TH

Greg - KO6TH

Edited

Hi Dave,

Ha!  Good observation powers.  I uploaded a larger view of the station (NC station # 05), so you can see the whole setup.  It's copied here, but we don't save images in the messages section, so in the future look under the Dropbox link when it gets posted there.

Aaron K6ABJ and I had separate stations, partly due to COVID rules, and partly so we could practice with our own equipment.  My antenna mount is the one on the left, using 3/4" schedule 40 PVC pipe.  It is constructed in 2' sections, so it disassembles into a small package, but plastic is flexible, so it's not self-standing except when used with just one or two sections.  I propped it up behind the sign pole since it was handy.  During other events, I usually lash it to one of the poles of the pop-up I'm under.  The antenna on top is an MFJ-1521 2m / 440 base station antenna, similar to the Diamond X-30.

Aaron's antenna is supported by a metal tripod, which worked very well.  It is both self standing and taller, but is in a significantly larger package.  I'm not sure what antenna he had on top, but I think it was similar to the Diamond X-50.  Larger antenna, with a bit more gain.  Perhaps Aaron can update us on his equipment.

Both stations were able to run at low power (5 watts) during the event.

Greg  KO6TH

David McBrayer wrote:

Greg, KO6TH -
Re the photos you posted from the NC Station 2021 CERA Enduro.  Images 02and 03 include parts of two antenna supports.  One looks like the tripod support for what would otherwise be a speaker used at an outdoor concert and the other appears to be made from 1/2- or 3/4-inch PVC irrigation pipe.  Please inform me re the origins of the bases and the antennas they support.  I'm the new guy here, so be gentle. 😀😀

73 de

Dave  N6OJJ

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 9:53 AM Greg - KO6TH <ko6th.greg@...> wrote:
[...]

I remembered to take some pictures this time.  Here are some views of
the Net Control station that I operated with Aaron, K6ABJ. See photos on our Dropbox site.

Greg  KO6TH

David McBrayer

Edited

[...]

Pictures have been moved to SFARC Dropbox, /Public Service Events/CERA Enduro/2021 CERA Enduro

You can view all Club activities pictures via w6ek.org/PHOTOS Tab

Dennis - WU6X

Aaron K6ABJ

Dave,

The mast and tripod I use for most of my portable operations is the MFJ-1919EX and the Antenna is like Greg said, a Diamond X50 I am very happy with these products and can definitely recommend them. A tripod like those used for an Audio Speaker will also work, but sometimes the diameter isn't quite the right size for the mast, just something to think about.

Aaron Jones, K6ABJ

    ajones@... | Mobile: 916-715-7328

On Mon, May 17, 2021, at 11:00 AM, David McBrayer wrote:
[...]

Attachments:
NC Station 2021 CERA Enduro 01.jpg: https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/attachment/7428/0
NC Station 2021 CERA Enduro 02.jpg: https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/attachment/7428/1
NC Station 2021 CERA Enduro 03.jpg: https://w6ek.groups.io/g/sfarc/attachment/7428/2