Topics

Field Day Goals and objectives #poll

Bob Brodovsky

As we get closer to Field Day 2018, the FD committee is busy getting things planned. One of the perpetual questions we have is what are our goals and objectives for the big ham radio holiday. We seem to vacillate between being a point driven contest style event or a social hangout and bbq event. I thought I'd put up a poll to find out what the general membership wants to get out of FD this year.
The question is: Should FD '18 be a points driven event allowing operators who want to drive Q's stay on most of the radios for the majority of the event to "win" or do we want to set time limits on all or most of the operating stations to let casual operators a chance to make a few QSO's during the peak hours?
So please click your preference. I'll submit the results to the next FD committee meeting.

73,
Bob K6UDA

Results

See Who Responded

Greg D

Hi Bob,

Choice #3 depends on the relative availability of points-driven and casual operators to utilize both sets of station(s).  One could also have a choice of casual operating overall with one station set aside for points, or some combination of the two.

Is that the intent of #3?

Greg  KO6TH

Bob Brodovsky wrote:

A new poll has been created:

[...]

1. Let's be in it to win it. - Let the contesters run it like a DXpedition
2. Let's make it more of a social event with casual operating and no objective.
3. Set aside one station for casual operators and have the remaining stations reserved for a points driven objective.

Vote Now

Gary - KB7QWC

Hi Bob,

   Put me down for #2.

   …Gary, KB7QWC

      Foresthill, CA

A new poll has been created:

[...]

Oh yeah!

I like Greg’s choice better!

   …Gary, KB7QWC

Choice #3 depends on the relative availability of points-driven and casual operators to utilize both sets of station(s).  One could also have a choice of casual operating overall with one station set aside for points, or some combination of the two.

Is that the intent of #3?

Greg  KO6TH

Bob Brodovsky wrote:

A new poll has been created:

[...]

Jim - WA8MPA

Bob,

Put me down for #3.
Thanks,
Jim WA8MPA

Jim Jupin
Fresh Air Media

On Apr 27, 2018, at 2:26 PM, Gary - KB7QWC <kb7qwc@...> wrote:

Hi Bob,

   Put me down for #2.

   …Gary, KB7QWC

      Foresthill, CA

A new poll has been created:

[...]

Choice # 3 was sort of a compromise. I think taking 3 of 4 stations and going for points would be a very effective way to still achieve a "competitive goal" yet keeping a slot open for those who want to operate casually. Only having one points oriented station in a 4A configuration would only only be frustrating for the points chasers. (sort of like playing a 1A station against a 4A field.) I'm just trying to get a sense  of what the general membership wants to do, so we don't spend an inordinate amount of time and energy optimizing a setup  if it's not desired.

Bob K6UDA

Greg D

Hi Bob, all,

Do we have enough contest-oriented operators to keep 3 (or 4) stations busy?  I presume the stations could be contest-focused or casual, depending on available operators.    So, assuming the operators are available, #3 really translates to reserving one station for casual operating.  Yes?

I think an interesting angle for the casual station would be to focus it on (casually) trying different modes, such as the various digital modes and/or bands one doesn't usually have an opportunity to use, or the time/inclination to set up at home.  Sort of an Elmering station, when the opportunity arises.

Greg  KO6TH

Bob Brodovsky wrote:

Choice # 3 was sort of a compromise. I think taking 3 of 4 stations and going for points would be a very effective way to still achieve a "competitive goal" yet keeping a slot open for those who want to operate casually. Only having one points oriented station in a 4A configuration would only only be frustrating for the points chasers. (sort of like playing a 1A station against a 4A field.) I'm just trying to get a sense  of what the general membership wants to do, so we don't spend an inordinate amount of time and energy optimizing a setup  if it's not desired.

Bob K6UDA

Earl Wilson

I do like to spend extended time with concentrated cw operating, but not to the point where I can't enjoy fellowship with members.  Not so much as being point driven, but like the endurance.  This really puts me between numbers 2 and 3 of this poll.
Earl, K6GPB

Gary - KC3PO

Perfect candidate for the late night or early morning hours when there’s not a whole lot of fellowship going on anyway ;)

de KC3PO

On Fri, Apr 27, 2018 at 8:53 PM Earl Wilson <earlw@...> wrote:
I do like to spend extended time with concentrated cw operating, but not to the point where I can't enjoy fellowship with members.  Not so much as being point driven, but like the endurance.  This really puts me between numbers 2 and 3 of this poll.
Earl, K6GPB

Brian Gohl <briangohl@...>

As a side note, I would like to participate in a club event that is actually a real contest. Has there ever been interest in making CQP or another contest a club event?

Dennis - WU6X

Most of the ARRL contests can be entered as a “club”. I’ll be looking at the schedule for what may be coming next.

Dennis - WU6X
530-305-0180

On Apr 28, 2018, at 4:25 PM, Brian Gohl via Groups.Io <briangohl@...> wrote:

As a side note, I would like to participate in a club event that is actually a real contest. Has there ever been interest in making CQP or another contest a club event?

Bob Brodovsky

Gary, I screwed up. I either missed, didn't get or forgot your survey. You did a great survey there and when Dennis showed it to me it answered most of my questions and more. Didn't mean to step on your toes I was just trying to spark a little conversation here on groups.io. It would be interesting to see a survey that gets 75% of the club response but thats another topic.

Bob K6UDA

Skip - K6DGW

You may find #3 difficult to achieve. Stations need bands. Point-driven stations need the bands with the highest rates at any given time. Thus, to be effective, a P-D station would need to be able to displace the casual stations ... sort of at will. Ops at casual stations may find this annoying. [:-)

Gary - KC3PO

Bob,

Someone claiming to be you responded to the survey, so it must be one of those senior moments our parents warned us about.  ;)

Any / all feedback is good.

- Gary

Bob Naylor <wotbob01@...>

Bob who?
Bob  WE6C

On Monday, April 30, 2018, 5:05:33 AM PDT, Gary KC3PO <kc3po@...> wrote:

Bob,

Someone claiming to be you responded to the survey, so it must be one of those senior moments our parents warned us about.  ;)

Any / all feedback is good.

- Gary

Gary - KC3PO

I was replying directly to UDA's message to me in this thread, sorry you lost the context on that.

- Gary KC3PO

Bob Naylor <wotbob01@...>

Yeah I can't keep all e-mails otherwise I need hundreds of terabytes!
Bob  WE6C