Re: Inputs on educational club projects

Jon - AI6W

Greydon’s idea has me excited about attending. 

I’m happy to help if needed.

nall, AI6W.

On Aug 5, 2022, at 15:14, Greydon - KC6SLE <lisagreydon@...> wrote:

Jon, count me in for what ever help is needed…it’s a great idea. 

Let’s take the 10 amp linear power supply as an example. It can be built in teachable and functional segments with students predicting, then testing the performance of each segment as the build proceeds:

- AC input and step down transformer; AC safety, proper fuse selection, input over voltage protection.  Test design output versus actual out put with VOM.

- Rectifier options, selection. and wave versus full wave, center tap versus. Add/build rectifier to AC section. Again observe DC output with VOM and Oscilloscope. 

Without making this message too long then move on to DC filter section, voltage regulator, then pass transistor drivers and pass transistors, then under and over voltage sections, metering options. Again the idea is to pause, teach and test as one builds.

My vision is to design and produce a full featured board which allows all of this, but also allows optional features, like metering, to be bypassed should the student elect to do so.

Greydon KC6SLE

On Aug 5, 2022, at 9:43 AM, Jon - KI6RT <jon@...> wrote:

Many of us have been discussing educational projects beyond RDF (Radio Direction Finders) that could be used for club builds (e.g. like the RDF kit building event that Doug, Tom, & Greydon ran). The intention behind the educational projects are to:
1. Learn basic electronics
2. Learn assembly techniques
3. Learn circuit testing techniques

Of course while producing something that has a high probability of working and providing a useful function. As discussed in this morning's Coffee Break Net the initial candidate projects are:
1. Basic Linear Power Supply (13.8V 10 Amp) 
2. Solar DC/DC Power Converter -- DC Input range from 12V - 120V, DC outputs of 5V 10 Amp, 13.8V 10 Amp with USB charging circuitry to charge phones/accessories while simultaneously running radios
    Have found this to be useful for emergencies (earthquake, fires, flood) when the grid is down... but car batteries, solar panels, hydroelectric or wind generators are available.
3. ?

If you have an input on what would be a simple and useful project for a club build please reply with your thoughts!

Jon - KI6RT

Join sfarc@w6ek.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.