Re: Uncertain Future of Ham Radio (?)

Jef - N5JEF

Jim -

Thanks for posting this.  I think it makes an important point.

Back when many of us got interested in radio, the NASA space program was delivering and inspiring technological dreams, and radio was like technological magic.

Now kids grow up with the Internet and cell phones and don't see any value in learning the underlying technology since they already have the benefits.

But even now there are some young minds that enjoy the stimulation of learning and can imagine future "magic" enabled by developments in science and technology. And radio could still be a key enabling technology—except that the FCC sees the radio spectrum more as a limited resource with commercial value, and the ARRL and most existing hams allow the current restrictions on advanced modes and applications (yes, virtually all digital) to remain effectively unchallenged. And video games are there to provide all the direct immediate stimulation most any kid would want.

My dad used to say "We don't always get what we deserve, but we deserve what we get."  Think about it.

There is so much more we could do, and do better.  We could discover a better future by inventing it, but...

- Jef N5JEF

On Sat, Oct 9, 2021 at 1:54 PM Jim - N6MED <n6medjim@...> wrote:

https://spectrum.ieee.org/ham-radio

Software-defined radio and cheap hardware are shaking up a hobby long associated with engineering