Re: Grounding...and vehicle installs (which I've apparently been doing wrong) #howto

KM6YKX - Rob Newburn

Good to know! So I guess I'm ok with both +/- fused and straight to battery terminals. That is how they are all set up now. Radios sound good so probably shouldn't mess with it.

Rob KM6YKX

On Thursday, March 4, 2021, 04:01:21 PM PST, Jef Allbright <jef@...> wrote:

In my work we always run the positive and negative radio power cables straight to the battery.  And we fuse _both_ wires.  That avoids the problem shown in your diagram that can occur if the starter can't find it's preferred path to ground, and uses the antenna coax instead.  This is what I would advise for most applications.

On my personal vehicle, however, I have a large deep cycle battery eight feet back at the rear of my pickup used to power radios up in the cab.  In this case I use a single very large positive cable from the battery up to the cab, but I use the chassis for the negative side.  The reason is that the very large cross-sectional area of the steel chassis has less resistance than a thick copper cable.  My battery, which is a pair of 6V 230Ah golf cart batteries in series, has a suitable fuse in between them.

- Jef

On Thu, Mar 4, 2021 at 3:27 PM KM6YKX - Rob Newburn <robnewburn@...> wrote:
There has been some vehicle install talk lately and everyone has ideas about grounding and bonding. Here is an article that might be useful...and this automotive install diagram. I've had no issues going straight to the battery but maybe need to rethink that.

https://www.repeater-builder.com/tech-info/bonding/amateur-radio-bonding.html

73, Rob - KM6YKX