858-456-5822 cell
Email: Frazierlaw@...
Since 1978

On Sep 14, 2020, at 11:56 PM, Aaron K6ABJ <aaron@...> wrote:

Sam,

I apologize for my negativity. My response perhaps speaks more about my pre-conceived attitude than yours. I interpreted your closing sentence of “It is ok as is.” as being dismissive. I also interpreted your abundant references to your legal offices as being egocentric and as tools to overpower me and my voice.

Aaron

On Sep 14, 2020, at 11:14 PM, Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...> wrote:

[Edited Message Follows]

Aaron,

Please use the forum for the open exchange of information.

I did not view Sam's post as "dismissive and egocentric" towards you as he was stating a professional opinion just as you are. It is fine to have opposing opinions expressed by two professionals. Please assist the club in determining the best course.

(916) 770-7751 cell

-------- Original message --------
From: Aaron K6ABJ <aaron@...>
Date: 9/14/20 10:34 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: Frazierlaw@...
Cc: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] IRS tax exempt status

What specific costs are there to maintaining a 501 status? As an accountant for several 501 organizations who have successfully maintained their status, I am unaware of any significant costs, unless of course you get attorneys involved.

As a donor to charitable organizations it is very important to me that the organizations I donate to are recognized as “Charitable” 501(c)(3) organizations. Without such IRS recognition, I cannot deduct my donations on my tax return.

I am not an attorney, so I cannot give legal advice like you can, but to my knowledge only 501(c)(3) organizations can solicit tax deductible donations. In either event, the tax deductibility of my donations is important to me, and it affects how much I give to an organization. I have encountered organizations in the past who hold themselves out as being recognized by the IRS as being a 501(c)(3), when in fact they weren’t, and I am not going down that road again. Such organizations create IRS tax liabilities for me, so they are not included in my regular giving or in my will. I have also been associated with organizations which have elected to convert from a 501c7 to a 501c3 status (at significant cost) to obtain donations that far exceeded the costs of conversion.

Your dismissive and egocentric attitude is unappreciated.

Aaron