Re: Field Day and FT8 #fieldday #digital

Dennis - WU6X

Hmmmmm ... I don't seem to have any of these problems working CW. Hi!

1C SV

From: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io> on behalf of Orion, AI6JB <ojendres@...>
Sent: Thursday, June 25, 2020 1:30 PM
To: sfarc@w6ek.groups.io <sfarc@w6ek.groups.io>
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Field Day and FT8

Carl & Gerry,

I am very confused as well, so a spent some time drawing bubbles and lines to figure this out.  Does this make sense …

Gerry if you call CQ and I am the only other person in the world, we can both TX and RX on the same frequency.  That works because for the first 15 sec you are TX’ing and the next 15 sec I am TX’ing.

The problem comes when you call CQ and Carl, with his mega station, also responds.  Since we are both on the same frequency he will either over-power me or we will interfere with each other and you would decode nothing or I will over-power him.

Now, if we all transmit on different frequencies, Carl transmits on a frequency other than yours, and I transmit on a frequency other his and yours, you will be able to see both of us.  Your band activity window will change color showing both of us responding.  You will be able to pick the better of us two, Carl, by double clicking on his call.  Your RX Frequency window will then lock on to Carl’s TX frequency the exchange will continue.  I will see you chose him on the next cycle in my band activity window which is a hint to move on.

If you had picked me instead, my RX Frequency window is locked on to your TX frequency and the software will automatically give the response immediately on the next cycle.

In a nutshell, if we all TX and RX on the same frequency, it will be slug fest to get your attention.  The stronger station will prevail or no one will win.  Does that make sense?

73

Orion Endres, AI6JB

1201 Wood Oak Court, Roseville, CA 95747-7383

(916) 788-8251 H \\ (916) 534-8251 C

What the heck does “73” mean?  73 is morse code short hand for “Best Regards” used by Ham radio operators.  It’s origin goes all the way back to the landline telegraph days.