Re: OpenSPOT2 Lesson Learned

Dennis - WU6X

Thanks Gerry. Excellent troubleshooting!

Dennis
iPhone Mobile

On Feb 16, 2020, at 8:57 AM, Gerry - WA6E <gjbrent@...> wrote:
I've enjoyed being on the road with my OpenSpot2. It's fun to be here in Arizona and to hear what's going on back at home. But here is something I learned the hard way about the OpenSpot2 and I pass it along in the hope that it might save somebody a headache.

Sometimes the OpenSpot would lose the connection with my Verizon Jetpack. I would walk into the motorhome and it would be saying "Openspot trying to connect to Wifi" or something like that. This went on and on and on. I would have to reset everything several times to get it to work. A little research discovered that the OpenSpot will only work on channels 1, 6 or 11 in the 2.4 GHz wifi "band." I had my Jetpack channel selector set to "various." I think what was happening was the Jetpack would sense interference on whatever channel we were on and move to a channel unsupported by the OpenSpot. All my other wifi devices would follow the change but the OpenSpot would not. So I changed the Jetpack to stay put on Channel 11 and all has been well since.

If you have this problem I would suggest you avoid channel 6. I believe just about every wifi device comes with channel 6 as their default channel.

Cheers.

Gerry
WA6E