El Dorado County Communications System Failures During The Blackout

Alan Thompson

First of all, thanks to everyone for running the Power 'Net during the Black Out. I didn't hear any other Clubs doing that, which is yet another thing that sets SFARC apart.

This last Thursday, I was scheduled to give a presentation about the Camp Fire communications failures before our local Pleasant Valley Fire Safe Council in El Dorado County. But the power was shut off, so the FSC wisely decided it would be better to postpone and reschedule the meeting.

In some ways, the power cut was right in line with my topic since Internet and cell phone service was either down or impaired across El Dorado and Placer County, and several others directly due to the power loss.

Comcast Internet service in our area north of Placerville went down almost immediately.

Depending on which cell phone service provider you had, service was either impaired or unavailable. I could not make any calls or get Internet over my StraightTalk/Verizon service. Text messages still worked, with occasional delays.

Had our CodeRed Alert system been activated for a fire, it makes me question how many would have actually received an alert.

I'd like to hear from other Club members your own Internet/phone communications failure story during the power outage? Where are you located? When did you lose Internet and/or phone service? Who are your service providers? Did you lose all cell service connectivity or just part?

Your information becomes vital in urging the state of California and local governments to compel service providers to harden their sites and reduce these potentially life-threatening service failures.