Re: California QSO Party (CQP) 2019 #contest

Orion, AI6JB

2019 CQP Wrap-Up!

This year we ran the California QSO Party (CAP) as a Low Power Multi/Multi County Expedition up near Robinsons Flat Campground at the end of Foresthill Divide Road.  "Low Power" means less than 200 watts. "Multi/Multi" means multiple operators, 6 total, and multiple stations, 2 total.  "Expedition" means we setup a temporary station using temporary antennas.

A total of 6 operators took the mic over a period of 30 hours to amass 340 contacts and 53 multipliers (note there are only 58 multipliers, 50 States + 8 Canadian provinces).  In addition, we made contacts with stations in 37 of the 58 California Counties.  This year we made 3 DX contacts with 1 each to Chile, Honduras, and the Slovak Republic.  All told we made contact with 4 of the world's 7 continents.  Only Asia, Antarctica, and Australia, proved to be elusive.

20 meters was once again king with 186 Q's (short for QSO's or contacts) followed by 80m with 58, 40m with 53, and 15m with 43.  Yes, it was a good weekend for 15 meters!

This year we had 6 operators put Q's in the logbook.  They were Brian, AI6US, with 105, Peter, WB6POT with 72, Ken, K6KEC with 27, Dustin, W6YUE, with 12, Al, NI2U with 8 CW contacts, and me, AI6JB with 2 CW and 114 SSB.

The highlight of the event was 4 students and their instructor from Mc Clatchy High School visited us.  What an enthusiastic bunch?  Brian and I tried our best to bore them with our limited knowledge of amateur radio, but they wanted more.  Al, NI2U, had them all keying their names in CW.  Two of which pronounced they were going to get their license just so they could do CW.  But perhaps the best moment of the day was when they accepted an invitation to the mic and each, including their instructor made their first HF contacts!

Special thank you's go out to Clyde, AB4CC, and Al, NI2U, who helped us setup on Friday.  AND, Ken, K6KEC and Chip, KM6MDF, who showed up Sunday to help us break-down.  Your help made the wonderful weekend that it was.  THANK YOU!

Definitely a very successful event.  Check-out the photo album here on Groups.io for pictures.

73 All,