Re: California ends Amateur radio Support

Aaron K6ABJ

Very well said!

Aaron, K6ABJ

On Oct 6, 2019, at 2:38 PM, Earl Wilson <earlw@...> wrote:

Bob,

Good that you have brought up the subject for discussion.  Hopefully this will bring a clear resolution that will be in effect for a long time that will enable good communication planning for the future.  Thanks for jumping in.

Earl, K6GPB

On 10/5/2019 15:24, Bob Brodovsky wrote:
I have purposely remained quiet since posting my video. I did that for two reason, the first was the shear number of responses, good, bad, crazy ect.. is overwhelming. The second is because this has caused such an uproar, I am getting additional information now from both the attorney for the repeater group and the State of CA. The state has reached out off the record through someone we all know and trust as a source. I can't give specific but an un named senior official told my source that my video has caused the state to elevate this issue to get resolved and to develop both an official response and a concrete policy regarding ham radio repeaters on state property.

Now for those that keep insisting this is about revenue and hams paying for rack space, my bitch isn't the fact that some repeater owners got a letter to remove equipment, rather they got this letter:

Hello :

I do understand and appreciate all of the service you have provided in the past. However, with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. Therefore, the Department no longer financially supports HAM operators radios or tenancy. If you desire to enter into a formal agreement to operate and maintain said equipment, you must complete and submit attached collocation application along with fee as outlined on page one of application.

There is cost associated with getting an agreement in place. In addition to the technical analysis fee ($2500/application), there is DGS Lease admin cost associated (typically between $3000-$5000) with preparation of lease. Also, there will be an annual rent charge based upon equipment type/space.

 Please let me know how you wish to proceed. If you determine the cost is too great to proceed, please make arrangements with me to remove equipment. If you still have questions, please do not hesitate to ask. I am much more readily available via email.

Now, I don't know if this lady drank too much AT&T FirstNet Koolaid or if she was just ignorant of what Ham Radio actually provide the public, but what she wrote is on it's face and until the state  or Cal Fire officially over rides it The policy and opinion of the State, Full Stop. Any reasonable & prudent person receiving such letter from the government would believe it so.  And because it hasn't been immediately felt with at the Cal Fire and OES level, People are still dealing with it.

Now had the State sent letters out to repeater owners stating something to the effect of: Dear Repeater owner, After an audit of our communications vault we discovered your private repeater is currently housed there. The State can no longer financially absorb the operation of private ham radio repeaters … that, if any affected repeater is in any way involved with local emergency or government support activity, they should ask that agency to engage with CAL FIRE concerning the repeater.  If the agency makes the case, there is a good chance that the repeater will be unaffected. We wouldn't be having this discussion now.

As for the $7500 application fee, That business speak for screw you, get your radio out of my building. Now, I'll be doing an update video when I have an official response from the State. As for the ARRL, I'm surprised at their response of
The State of California has not made any determination we can find  "that Ham Radio [is] no longer a benefit. In the face of with constantly changing technological advances, there is no longer the same benefit to State as previously provided. I'm really disappointed in that tepid response. It's apparent the ARRL doesn't want to step up and at least call the State on an official statement that was made.
I'm only writing this to you guys because your my friends and my club mates. You can disagree with me if you want but if you look at the fact on the face there's no argument.

Bob K6UDA