Re: Dust Control for Field Day

Greg D

Yeah...  probably not a winning play.

What about just getting some large natural-fiber type mats, and just leaving them there?  Should last a number of years, given the light use. 

Or would that be considered "littering"?

{sigh}

Greg  KO6TH

Brian Gohl - AI6US wrote:

Personally, I wouldnt want to even think dealing with the USFS to plant anything on FS property. 😮

Best Regards! 
Brian Gohl - AI6US 
(916) 770-7751 cell

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/14/19 12:57 PM (GMT-08:00)
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Dust Control for Field Day

Hi Brian,

I wasn't thinking "lawn", but rather "low growing natural vegetation".  Something that would re-seed itself once it gets established.  By mid-summer, it'd likely be brown and dry, so we'd essentially be walking on a mat of straw instead of pulverized dirt. 

But it would also need to not become a fire hazard...  If I remember, I'll ask at the local nursery to see if they have any recommendations.

Greg  KO6TH

Brian Gohl - AI6US wrote:
I have a 50 gallon poly barrel to haul water. Could attach a water pump and garden hose if we could get a proper ratio with a hydro mix/applicator. 

The mix would be applied about 1 gallon per 20sf, so really needs a good heavy application that soaks the soil. The backpack application would be very labor intensive. 😯

Based on our FD experience with the Sac astronomy and private astronomer, Richard, not sure if any one (except USFS? or not) should be involved in a decision that affects our usage. We are talking about approx. $50 initial product application, $25 annual reapplication cost plus our labor. I spend that much on fuel to round-trip! LOL! BTW... the lease is only for the building and/or pads and not the common use areas. 

Without regular watering and maintenance, grass cover wouldnt seem to be a suitable method for the location. Mats would require hauling and storage.

Best Regards! 
Brian Gohl - AI6US 
(916) 770-7751 cell

-------- Original message --------
Date: 7/14/19 10:45 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: Brian Gohl - AI6US <ai6us@...>, sfarc@w6ek.groups.io
Subject: Re: [from W6EK Groups.io] Dust Control for Field Day

Looks very promising.

I suppose worse case we could use the backpack sprayer(s) like the orange one I had up there... it does have a broadcast-type spray nozzle.

Hopefully someone has something better, but it's do-able. It'd be a good arm workout - haha.

Another question is how to get that much water up there.

- Gary  KC3PO
--
Brian- AI6US

--
Brian- AI6US

Join sfarc@w6ek.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.